Installing Contact Core Freezer. Have question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
My previous cooler was the Artic Cooler. The fan plugged directly into a 4pin that was right next to the cpu area (directly on mobo). This new cooler has a fan controller and a 3pin connector. This is like the other fans in my case. They connect to a 2pin connector that extends off my psu. They all seem to work.

My question is since i have to plug this 3pin into one of those 2pin connectors will the fan controller work? There is red/black/yellow wires and the 3rd pin which if I remember right is the yellow one which has no connector since there is only 2pins. Make since?

Last the way I installed it the fan is pointing up, this seems ok to me. Is this ok? Pic below (might look bad, from cell phone. Thanks

I haven't plugged the computer back into power. I was on lunch break and ran out of time.

photo.jpg

Flip it around so the fans face each other for better airflow. You'll be blowing hot air into your case or onto your video card there instead of blowing it out the back.

EDIT: I think those are filters/air vents on the top? I guess the way you have it would be ok if it was blowing air up, but I still think it would be better blowing back and out of the case.

Flip it so the fan is pushing out the back of the case? If so I think that might be a problem with room. I could be wrong but after I was done it looked like if I did that it wouldn't fit.

edit: I get confused with directions of these fans. Isn't the way it's installed now the fan is blowing thru the metal fins and out the top?

and no, plug the 3-pin into the 4-pin. the 4th pin that you don't have is the PWM regulator I believe which just allows the fan to increase/decrease RPM's as needed.

Taking another look at it, I believe the way it's installed now, it's blowing air downwards. If it really won't fit so the fan blows air out the back of the case, flip it around so it blows up. The air usually comes out the side with the brand logo sticker on it. :p

Taking another look at it, I believe the way it's installed now, it's blowing air downwards. If it really won't fit so the fan blows air out the back of the case, flip it around so it blows up. The air usually comes out the side with the brand logo sticker on it. :p

No, the always blows towards the side with the brackets. Trust me. I have about 50 fans in a bin beside me and they all blow that way. The way he has it, air will blow towards the top of the case.

I also know, cause I just installed my Core Contact today. :p

Which, by the way, was a major PITA. I had to remove my top case fan, remove my video card, and move my RAM from 1-3 to 2-4. Then I had to remove my DVD drive to wiggle the case fan back into place. Annnndd then, I had to ziptie the fan on the heatsink so that it stayed up a little, I didn't want the fan and the metal clips touching my RAM.

But, it cools really well, so it was worth it. :D

Ah, well. I was trying to remember since I normally have a million fans next to me too. ;) But I'm at work, so I can't remember. My bad.

No, the always blows towards the side with the brackets. Trust me. I have about 50 fans in a bin beside me and they all blow that way. The way he has it, air will blow towards the top of the case.

I also know, cause I just installed my Core Contact today. :p

Which, by the way, was a major PITA. I had to remove my top case fan, remove my video card, and move my RAM from 1-3 to 2-4. Then I had to remove my DVD drive to wiggle the case fan back into place. Annnndd then, I had to ziptie the fan on the heatsink so that it stayed up a little, I didn't want the fan and the metal clips touching my RAM.

But, it cools really well, so it was worth it. :D

Ok thanks! Then I might leave it this way then.

Sorry your install was a PITA. I was actually pretty lucky and I must say this install is much more easier then the arctic freezer I had before. The brackets are SOO much more stable then the arctic. The assembly was a piece of cake and it fit very well. I love how the bracket installed separate from the heat sink and such.

On a side note, I read PITA as PETA. I was like "You had to call an animal abuse hotline to install your heatsink? What?"

</random>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom