IHS Removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
all right I've decided I'm going to do this on the weekend, I just have a few questions

I have read in the past that using isopropyl alcohol on the razor makes the cutting job easier. Can anyone confirm this? Also, nubius, when you were applying the thermal paste to the die did you do it in the same fashion as the bare GPU, just put a small dot in the middle and let the heatsink spread it out, or did you manually spread it out on the die yourself?

I'm thinking of using an exacto knife for this, would that work fine? I've also read that you poke tiny holes (probably not the best description) around the IHS to remove it bit by bit rather than "sawing" it all off in one motion, right? I've watched the video and I had read up on this before but I don't wanna screw this crap up. And I assume when you reapply the block you tighten it to roughly the same tension as what it was at when the IHS is on the die

They are soldered on Those are just mosfets though, not the actual PWM IC.
ah well I was really just under the impression the PWM IC was made up of that entire area of microchips as those microsinks do get pretty hot under load still...not sure how you could mod a microsink for that thing though as it is a bit oddly shaped, I think I'm just gonna install another panaflo over it to get more airflow over it

I have read in the past that using isopropyl alcohol on the razor makes the cutting job easier.
haven't heard anything about that, but I don't see how it'd be true. It's not like there's enough time for the stuff to soak in and eat away at the silicon. Only thing I've heard people trying is putting in the freezer beforehand and cutting it that way. I guess this would go along with the iso, but I also read about people using some nail polish remover and whatnot (which has iso in it obviously) and putting that around the edges. I think one person even had a bowl of the stuff and put the processor upside down in it, but since there's a spot where there is no silicon the stuff gets in there and creates a vaccuum making it harder to remove.

ANYWAY.......personally I'd say just freakin cut it. Dont waste your time with any of these other methods that may or may not work. Half the time I think it's just the person thinking it goes quicker and easier. This is what I used dude:

Look at the bottom left corner of the blade and you can see where I marked to not go further than that line. That thing cut through it REAL easy man that's why I say dont bother with any of that other nonsense. But, also like I said, use something to get ahold of it better as it's flimsy and will cut your fingers easily.

Also, nubius, when you were applying the thermal paste to the die did you do it in the same fashion as the bare GPU, just put a small dot in the middle and let the heatsink spread it out, or did you manually spread it out on the die yourself?
I manually spread it. I never put a dot in the middle except on the AMD64 CPU's with IHS on them. I spread my stuff out on the die on the GPU as well. Dot in the corner and spread it really thin.

I'm thinking of using an exacto knife for this, would that work fine?
I tried using it and mine sucked. Although it WOULD work, out of the two the bic razor was best. I used the exacto knife for prying the lid off though.

I've also read that you poke tiny holes (probably not the best description) around the IHS to remove it bit by bit rather than "sawing" it all off in one motion, right?
Never heard of it and the two videos I watching simply shows them making one clean motion, perhaps going over an edge once or twice.

I had read up on this before but I don't wanna screw this crap up.
Well it's not like I had experience lol. You just gotta read a bunch of stories and watch the videos (which you've obviously done) make the decision and go for it. I think I may have been drinking earlier that day though so that coulda influenced my decision a little :p

And I assume when you reapply the block you tighten it to roughly the same tension as what it was at when the IHS is on the die
No I didn't actually. When I think back to my XP-M days I know I had the block on their really tight because no one really thought of it. Now people make you paranoid with all their stupid "Ehh, the core is fragile though, that's why there's an IHS on there"

With the IHS my springs were pretty much compressed all the way, without the IHS they are compressed perhaps 3/4 the way, maybe 80%.

ah well I was really just under the impression the PWM IC was made up of that entire area of microchips
That's cause you are a BAKA and need to realize this is why I'm your senpai son!

Nah, all jokes aside I thought the same thing too, but when I saw my PWM hitting 56C I decided to look into and found that information about the yellow temp sensor and what the actual PWM IC is. "Pulse-Width Modulation Integrated Circuit" Which makes sense considering it says "IC" and we should know what an IC is and that it implies one single chip. Anyway, it's for regulating the voltages if you weren't aware of that.

The thing isn't really oddly shaped, it's just rectangular instead of square like a mosfet. Even a single microsink that was square and didn't complete cover the whole thing should cool it down.

If my computer wasn't already loud I'd install another 60mm 6000RPM fan that I've got blowing on my chipset. That'd adequately cool that entire area for sure.

"Resident Evil Machine..."

Nubius said:
I'm running watercooling ;)

That's my rig dude. Dont mind the pink water....it's part the flash and part the fact that red water used to be in there, but red water that's flushed out then refilled with fresh clear water = pink.
Allways thought ur water cooling looked like a bunch of intestines. lol Anyway, i did the same thing with an AMD K6-2 with a boxcutter, but i wasn't as careful as you were. :wooha::confused: :cool:

Allways thought ur water cooling looked like a bunch of intestines.
lol, better that than "WTF IS IT PINK FOR! GIRL!" although apparently we have a lot of pink loving males around here. Oh well, the water will be getting flushed as soon as I'm leaving for seattle.

yeah, I don't think I'd be as careful with a K6-2 processor either.....it's just those $300+ current generation CPU's I'm worried about :p

definitely use a razor blade, i don't thing anything else (except for maybe a medical scalpel) would be sharp enough. the silicon is REALLY tough :amazed:. as for cutting the whole thing in one swoop, i don't see that happening. it really does take quite a while to cut through. just keep in mind once you start there really is no going back.

this little bic razorblade cut through the plastic of the razor itself :p the silicon is no match for plastic. It was cake. The only thing is, I went over each side to make sure I was through and then tried prying it a little at a time.

well I've decided this weekend is going to be tweaking weekend...got lots to look forward to

a couple different bands with a few of my friends in them are playing on friday, then on friday when I get back the first thing I'm gonna try and do is practice on my 3200+...considering I already know that core will clock like a beast, when I pull the opteron out I'm gonna stick that back in briefly and overclock it and then finally sell it off since I think I'll get more for it since it's a week15 plus it'll have the IHS removed

Then on saturday I'll get to the opteron and finally figure out if this week30 is a dud or not, plus I need to tweak my memory and get it back running at 2.5-3-3-7 1T at 300HTT, still can't get it any tighter than 2.5-4-3-8 1T although at least I'm able to run this with lower vdimm + chipset voltage + LDT voltage...I might also try flashing to a different bios and see if that fixes it

Lastly I'm almost done rewriting a bios mod for my 6800gs, considering I got it for free I've decided I don't care how reckless I am with it plus I think evga will exchange it if it dies anyways...I'm gonna try modding the vcore and vram muchlike with the 6800GT > Ultra bios mod and try squeeze more out of this sucka as I'm particularily disappointed in the memory clock on this thing, plus it clocks works than my old one. I'm not positive if the PCB will support the higher voltages as I've been told it's pretty much 50/50 but I'm gonna try anyways

What bios did you end up using anyways nubius?

I used the 702-2b BIOS or whatever it was. If you meant for the graphics card I'm just using standard 6800GT

I have a question, as you know I am all stock cooling, well if I remove the IHS and can't get the heatsink to get tight enough could i just slap the IHS back on like a spacer and wait for water cooling or???

Dont know. I planned on slapping it back on their for RMA but that's a little different. Don't know what you'd plan on putting it on with. Maybe super glue but I figured the CPU would heat up enough to cause the bond of the glue to weaken. Of course if you have a heatsink on top of it then I guess there really won't be too much of a worry.

Buuuut yeah, for the most part, we can't really accurate answer your question.

let us know how it works out :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom