Ide 100 Ata

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATA= advanced technology attachment. ata100 means a burst tranfer speed of 100 megabytes per second. this is the maximum, the average tranfer speed never reaches 100MB/sec. this has nothing to do with modding, this is a hardware specific question.

to find out if it can be installed in your computer please tell us your computer model or motherboard model names

what is the fastest u could send data from ur hard drive?
i have SATA which ive heard is 150mb/sec but its only a 7200 rpm so i doubt it will get this high? so is SATA advantage only the airflow around the cable atm? or is the difference noticable?

on average the difference is noticeable, i would say it is about 15-25% faster than ATA133 IDE hard disks. you can buy round IDE cables so the SATA cables are not a huge advantage. you can buy western digital Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA hard disks, those should be smoking fast.

you have to look at both the RPM spindle speed AND the interface speed to get an idea of how fast the hard disk is. RPM alone means nothing.

Sorry, I can't find any info on the "Compaq 07BCh motherboard". can you please give me the specs of that computer like hard disk size, operating system, memory type, memory size, video card, ect? i want to know what this computer had on it when you first got it and also what you have added to it afterwards.

NobodyImportant said:
I was thinking about putting an 80gig IDE HDD into my PC. Is 100 ATA software or hardware? And how do I find out if I have it? As you can tell, I'm new to modding. What else do I need to figure out to see if I can put the HDD I want into my PC?

This is the HDD I was thinking of getting.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-122&depa=0

Its an interface technology. However concerning ATA 100 vs. SATA.. Its doing nothing more than say making the bandwidth pipe bigger, by no means does this mean the system will utilize this. Same thing with ATA 100 vs. ATA 66. In most cases the drives will never be able to pump out data at that speed on a consistent basis. The only positive thing about SATA, it saves cable room..

Example:
On a system with ATA 100, the hard drive may support this but it will only get about 77mb/s on average. The pipe if you will is too big to be filled completely.

If you want real speed and have money to spare, go with SCSI. (Small computer system interface.) You can buy drives that go up to 15,000 rpm, with those rotation speeds it can achieve higher throughput,

SATA and ATA are different connectors for devices to your motherboard. ATA utilizes IDE I beleive, and SATA or Serial ATA uses its own type of connector, giving it that 50mb advantage over the regular ATA.

mdshort said:
SATA and ATA are different connectors for devices to your motherboard. ATA utilizes IDE I beleive, and SATA or Serial ATA uses its own type of connector, giving it that 50mb advantage over the regular ATA.

Yeah well like I said, you can make the pipe bigger but that doesn't mean the hard drive or system will be able to pump more through it.. I would like SATA just because it has those nice little wires.. That and probably lower power consumption.

Currently it has one WDC WD800BB-60CCB0, 80gig HDD. As for the operating system, it has Windows XP Pro. For memory, 2xDIMM DDR-SDRAM PC2100-256. For a video card there is an ATI ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON in a AGP 4x slot. The processor is an AMD Athlon XP 1900. The HD controller is an IDE ATA/ATAPI.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom