Is an i7 920 supposed to run this hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omika_Pearl

Baseband Member
I just installed my i7 920. It's in an Antec 900 case with an extra 120mm fan, with the stock fan on it. No OCing, but the cores are getting up to 68-73 C under a load. This is terrifying. I applied the thermal paste thinly and evenly, and the case temp is good. So... what's going on? I've seen people say these CPUs are supposed to run that hot, but it seems unreal. I've already had one involuntary reboot.

Is this normal for these CPUs? I guess I need to get a new fan for it, but I don't want to void the warranty either.

They do run a little hotter but your temps are too high for stock.

You using the stock heatsink?

I would remount whatever heatsink you have.

I agree with Hefe, try re-mounting the heatsink. And go into the bios and set the Smart Fan for your cpu at Manual and 100%.

Using an aftermarket heatsink will not void your warranty :D

Alright, I'll try re-mounting it and doing that. Also, I heard from someone using an aftermarket fan voided it. So thanks for clearing that up. Now I just have to find the right fan that doesn't cost a bajillion dollars.

Stuff I did:

- Remounted fan

- Set smartfan to manual and 100%

- Disabled "turbo mode" for my CPU using the MOBO tuning software.

I've gone down about 10 C from what I was before, on all fronts. The turbo mode disabling seemed to make the biggest difference, and I don't notice any real performance hit.

Other than that, this thing scares me. I've been so used to enduring choppy framerates from new games, but I put something in front of this nightmare creature, crank every little slider I can find to max, and it rips it apart. I'm afraid it's going to try to kill me next.

Thanks to you guys for helping me out with building it. :D

Edit: Scratch that, apparently turbo mode got turned on again after I reset those BIOS settings. So it's at these temps solely from the changes you guys suggested. For the record, I REALLY hate these plastic mounting tabs.

That thing looks exactly like the transformer 4 I have sitting in my closet. I was going to install it, but... it looked like such a pain. I would have to take out the whole MOBO for it, and when I looked for reviews online, they said it was mediocre. So, maybe I'll just save for a bit and then invest in a really good heatsink/fan.

Okay, so I have that new, big fan installed. But now there's other problems.

Just had a very bad crash while playing Champions Online (whole system froze, and there was this horrendous audio feedback). Temps seem better, overall, but I'm having stability issues when I put the system under stress.

This thing seems like it wants to tackle everything perfectly, but it just can't do it without crashing or resetting eventually. I'd like to blame the heat, but I'm not an expert. The hottest core isn't going above 57 C under stress anymore, though.

It could very well just be Champions Online, I suppose, I only have trouble when playing that.

Just installed this, which I got at a going out of business sale for cheap:

Newegg.com - EVERCOOL HPJ-12025 120mm Ever Lubricate Bearing
(Long Life bearing) Transformer 4 Heat Pipe CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

At the moment I'm running CHampions online at max settings, and the highest core temp is averaging at about 55 C. Before, it was about 65 C. So, hooray!

ZOMG you play champions online? what's your main character's name and global handle?

im constantine@soulofadra6on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom