i7 920 D0 and 12GB RAM overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what your using your PC for, but 12GB of ram is unnecessary. Pull 6GB out for a day of tweaking and see what happens.

Do you have an adjustment called MCH Strap or something simular? Set it to 1600

Set your Vcore to 1.3 and disable C1E

Are you using an aftermarket heatsink or the stock unit? If it's an aftermarket what is it? What are your temps at idle and load?

I built it to run several virtual machines for training purposes. Server 2003 and 2008, AD, Cisco Callmanager and some Linux testing primarily. Hence why I have such an old card in there. No point in having a overclock that works with 6GB when I will never use it.

Idle is low 40's, Prime95 gets up to 82 on the hottest core.

Heatsink is a Titan Fenrir.

Those temps are 2 hot, at least on the load end. At what speed are you getting those temps, stock?

That heatsink has exposed heatpipes on the base so you need to make sure there is thermal paste at the edges of each heatpipe were it meets the actual base. And if the fan is adjustable make sure it's on high :D

Temperatures are fine for a i7, low 80s are common when running Prime.

Anything between 3GHz and 3.6 produces these temps.

If your good with them ok. But my temps on air are way better than yours and I'm at 4.2 Ghz. If you want to stabilize your overclock just try my suggestions at a later date :D

Was about to say what is your ambient temperature but then I saw your location. :D I was expecting low 80s on Prime95 8 threads so it hasn't worried me, still doesn't tbh.

I expect I can put it straight onto 190+ bus speed with 6GB without changing anything else.

I think most of us here with an i7 on air get the range of 55C-70C under load
If i recall correctly, my hottest core reading was 67C and my coolest core was in the high 50's.

As your aware, heat effects overclocking potential and stability.

Anyways, I hope you get it all worked out...and let us know your results!

Temperatures are fine for a i7, low 80s are common when running Prime.

Anything between 3GHz and 3.6 produces these temps.

I'm fairly sure the max safe temp for an i7 is ~73c so those temps shouldn't be common, especially not with aftermarket cooling.

zedman3d's temps

2462mhu.png

be thats at stock, overclocking it wouldnt make it go up into the 80's

and here is mine at stock under full load

temps.jpg

run your pc at stock, and see what your temps are @ 100% load to compare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom