i5-760 OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiller.

In Runtime
Hi all,

I just finished building this PC this morning and am in the process of OC'ing. I installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler to keep the temps down...

I would just like some information on safe temps for this chip, and also, how do you adjust the voltage?? There are many different voltage options in BIOS. What is the stock voltage? CPU-Z shows 1.22V for the 'Core Voltage'.

For now, I just OC'ed using a preset option that my bios had. In this case, I set it to 'Crazy-3.36G' lol.

Here is a SS of Core Temp + Intel Burn Test.

Thank you!

Here are some settings that were adjusted when I selected the pre-set OC:

Fixed Voltage: 1.25
IMC Volts: 1.40
DRAM Volts: 1.62
CPU PLL = 1.80 (Std)
PCH Volts 1.05 (Std)

I have no idea what these mean, but do they sound right for the CPU @ 3.37 GHz and the Ram @ 1600 MHz?

What is the model of the G.Skill RAM? Most requires 1.65v to run.

Good temps are around 60-65c load in the upper 3ghz range but if you get into the 70s that's fine. Just don't go over 80c and you should be good on air.

Max safe voltage for the i5 is 1.45v, but with that chip you shouldn't need anymore than 1.4v to reach 4ghz.

IMC can stay stock which I think is around 1.1 but I'm not sure. I run the UD3R GB board and I keep all settings auto besides RAM and VCore. Auto being it raises the voltage whenever the board sees fit.

as an added bit about leaving settings on auto, if you find that it's getting unstable and raising the ram voltage/vcore doesn't work then if you want a higher clock start fiddling with the other voltages, as auto, for obvious reasons, isn't the most exact setting and could be holding your OC back.

as an added bit about leaving settings on auto, if you find that it's getting unstable and raising the ram voltage/vcore doesn't work then if you want a higher clock start fiddling with the other voltages, as auto, for obvious reasons, isn't the most exact setting and could be holding your OC back.

Seems to work fine for me, but he doesn't have my board either. PLL and PCH can be left alone for a simple core overclock. Only thing extra after that is QPI voltage which shouldn't need to be touched either unless he is overclocking his RAM.

You posted a screenshot which is good. But I can't read it which is bad. Try reading this thread please.
Screenshot Tutorial

Can you see it if you right click -> view image? The SS shows my CPU @ 3.37 GHz with max temps of 61*C (Maximum load on IntelBurnTest for 5 passes).

What is the model of the G.Skill RAM? Most requires 1.65v to run.

Good temps are around 60-65c load in the upper 3ghz range but if you get into the 70s that's fine. Just don't go over 80c and you should be good on air.

Max safe voltage for the i5 is 1.45v, but with that chip you shouldn't need anymore than 1.4v to reach 4ghz.

IMC can stay stock which I think is around 1.1 but I'm not sure. I run the UD3R GB board and I keep all settings auto besides RAM and VCore. Auto being it raises the voltage whenever the board sees fit.

Thanks for the info. On the G.Skill box, it says 1.5v, so I'm guessing that is stock. I only want to use the Ram @ 1600 MHz, no more. Without any adjustment in BIOS, it runs at 1333 MHz.

Right now I am running solid at 3.37 GHz with max temps of 59*C under maximum load.

Vcore: 1.25
IMC: 1.16
DRAM: 1.50

I tried 3.8 GHz with:

and it passed 3 runs of burn test, but I still don't feel right clocking it that high until I'm 100% sure I know what I am doing with voltages.

You should follow the directions I gave in this thread.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/novice-ocer-239332/

You have 2000MHz ram but to be truthful, in order to run your memory at 2000MHz you'll end up losing cpu MHz's. And the problem is that you'll gain more performance from your i5 760 at 4GHz with a 1600MHz memory speed than you will by running the i5 760 at 3.8GHz with a 2000MHz memory speed.

While you may be able to run at 4GHz and 2000MHz, we need to start by getting you to 4GHz and 1600MHz.

Slaymate said:
Set the:

Ai Tweaker

Ai Overclock Tuner to - Manual
CPU Ratio Setting - 20
Intel Speedstep - Disabled
Intel Turbo Mode - Disabled
Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode - Enabled
BCLK Frequency - 200
DRAM Frequency - 1066
QPI Frequency - Auto
DRAM Timing Control - (edited: for this post, try these settings 8-8-8-28-74 at 1.65v)
CPU Differential Amplitude - not sure, I think the higher the value, the smoother or cleaner the voltage signal will be. I would leave at Auto for now

CPU Clock Skew - Auto
CPU Voltage Mode - Fixed Voltage - 1.325 (this may need to go up but we really want it around the 1.30 - 1.325 range)

IMC Voltage - 1.3v (This is the Internal Memory Controller Voltage, because your using 8GB's and I'm assuming you have a 4x2GB setup, you'll probably need to set this higher than a 2x2GB setup. I would try 1.3v and maybe we can lower it.)

CPU PLL - Auto (we'll raise this if we have errors and adjusting the CPU volts has no effect)

PCH Voltage - Auto (Southbridge Voltage)
Load Line Calibration - Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum - Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum - Auto

Advanced
CPU Configuration

CPU Ratio Setting - 20
C1E Support - Disabled
Hardware Prefetcher - Enabled
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetcher - Enabled
Max CPUID - Disabled
Intel Virtualization Tech - Unless your using a program like Virtual PC you can Disable this.
CPU TM Function - Disabled
Execute Disable Bit - Enabled
Intel HT Technology - Enabled
Active Processor Cores - All
A20M - Disabled
Intel Speedstep Tech - Disabled
Intel Turbo Mode Tech - Disabled
Intel C-State Tech - Disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom