i think i shorted my motherboard..

Status
Not open for further replies.

muradtalukdar

Baseband Member
oops...
okay here it is. i was swapping cases for my ex. had everything setup in the new case but the motherboard is old there is no documentation and the new case had no docs either but the leads from the powerswitch/hdd light/reset/speakers were well labelled.
BUT...some of the new leads for these had different sizes/no. of holes than the old ones which were connected in the old case.

this threw me and i tried to get them to fit onto the connectors as best i could(the mboard only had the power supply one labelled) and when i powered up alas...something smoked.

the fans went and lights came on but then no boot.

i thought maybe the board was shorting(crappy little spacers with the board) against the case.

but i definitely smelt something burning and couldn't see where it was.

now when i hit the switch there is no boot but the cd drive and the power supply fan works but the fan on the processor doesn't work.

the board is a generic looking one in a mass build high street store pc.

what do i do now???

you need a map of the pin assignments on that board, guessing doesn't alway work. you should be able to find them in the manual or download it from the manufacturer website. you obviously plugged them into something other than LED panel, probably you shorted the USB panel or something else. you may have fried your mobo.

reset your CMOS and try to boot up again. if that doesn't work i would start testing each part in another working computer. for your other board make sure you have the instructions in front of you. it is better to not plug them in if you do not know where they go.

you shorted a tracer on the board. i know from first hand experience. the board is dead. sorry for the bad news. what you need to do is remove all the standoffs from the case.( the metal tabs the board screws into and then line up as many as you can to the new board and put only those standoffs back in. if you leave the others in you will continue to short out every board you put in, unless by some miracle you find an exact match.

also if the heatsink fan dosen't move test it on another board. if it works then the CPU might be ok. if it doesn't take a look at the CPU for either cracks or scorch marks on the pins or chip. hopefully you only damaged the circuitry to the fan and not the fan and cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom