I think a BIOS update completely messed up my motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
So I decided to update the BIOS on my ASUS P5N-E SLI.

I downloaded the newest update, got into BIOS, and updated it. It installed correctly but when it restarted, the BIOS was acting up.

I popped out the BIOS battery, put it back in a bit later, and I was good to go. I verified the version and it updated correctly.

But now I get the BSOD whenever I try to OC my rig the least bit. I can't enough increase the FSB by 10 and have it boot into windows, I get the BSOD before I get to the loading screen. Even with the memory @ 5-5-5-15 @ 675mhz. Sweet.

So now, thanks to the new BIOS version, I can't OC the least bit.

It won't even boot into windows consantly at stock settings.

I'm starting to regret getting this, and I've only had it for a couple months.

I'm tempted to revert back to the old BIOS, sell the mobo, and get a newer one.

Umm, my motherboard not having stablle overclocks, even small ones?

I'd say that's not working how it's suppose to.

A BIOS update would be the logical thing to try, next to getting rid of parts.

he meant, don't update your bios unless your having a problem... thats the common methodology with bios updates since it involves flashing which can be incredibly hazardous to your pc, killing your mobo and turning it into a paperweight (a large one too :p)

Haha, oh well.

My Ballistix should be getting here tomorrow or the next day, I'll see if I have any luck with those.

If not, I'll just revert back to my old BIOS.

since it involves flashing which can be incredibly hazardous to your pc, killing your mobo and turning it into a paperweight (a large one too :p)

Not always. It depends what motherboard you have. Some motherboards have backup BIOS so you can re-flash the chip with that. You can also buy a new BIOS chip for some motherboards.

I figured you meant it either worked or you're screwed. :p

well generally speaking, atleast from my experience, its a waste of time either way to have to fix it... lots of work for something that can be easily avoided, a mobos bios update is rarely important, usually fixing some remote problem that a small group of people experienced or some hardware compatibility issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom