I screwed up badly I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaminlegend38

Solid State Member
Okay, so I tried overclocking for the first time today. I was using one of the guides in the stickies and it said that they increased the HTT frequency by 20 or so every time. Okay, first time I did that, no problems. Ran it through Prime 95 and everything worked out. Temps were around the 40 degree Celcius range.

Went back into the BIOS to do it again. This time, I obviously went too far. It won't even boot to the BIOS now. It just sits there with a black screen. The fans are running and everything, but the computer itself isn't.

My question is, did I fry the whole computer? If not, how do I correct this? I haven't tried resetting the CMOS yet because I'm not 100% certain how to do that. I know you take the battery out but I don't have a clue how you do that.

Here's system specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939
MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4-4X ATX AMD Motherboard
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
MSI NX6600GT-TD128E Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

move the CMOS jumpers from 1-2 to 2-3

or take out the battery for 10 minutes

you dont raise it by 20 you raise it by 6mhz, and if it isnt stable you will need more voltage, and if that doesnt do it, its your ram so run the memory divider

Same thing happened to me when I was pushing 2.6GHz. I'm not entirely sure what caused it though, probably voltage.

You'll have to reset the CMOS. On my motherboard, theres a jumper that I move from 1-2 to 2-3 and then back to 1-2. Do you still have your motherboard manual? It should say how to reset the CMOS in the booklet.

Raise the HTT by 5 MHz, not 20. 20 is way too much.

Also, are you running a memory divider? If not, then it might be your ValueSelect. My ValueSelect doesn't do more than 211MHz without errors, and I only know of one case in which ValueSelect did more than 220MHz, so yours definately won't do 240MHz.

Thank you very much. I wish I would of known that there was a CMOS button before I asked this...

Anyway, what the guide says is to take the RAM and other things out of the equation. So I put the RAM down to 100hz (or mHz, whatever it is).

Ah. Well, I guess that leaves the voltage then. And seriously, even without the RAM, don't make 180MHz (or 20 HTT) jumps .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom