I need UNDERclock tool for ATI video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
Its summer bro, its hot. When I want to use my desktop for surfing/reading PDFs I don't need the extra heat from the video card (the fan is spinning like mad, my room is getting hot).

I need a program that will dynamically underclock my videocard based on demand, just like the power-saver CPU underclockers. I got an ATI 4870, i need something that works and won't screw anything up.

Anyone got something for me?

Most graphics cards already do this, I know nVidia cards have for a while and my 5870 seems to also support it. They have "low power" modes or "2d modes" that throttle down the GPU clock to reduce power consumption. From what I read in the 5870 reviews, the older 4870 uses more power and cannot achieve very good idle power consumption. The 5870 on the other hand uses very little power in idle (I think 27W with a single monitor, the 4870 used 3 times that). You can manually underclock using any overclocking utility (ATi Overdrive should work) and just setting it the other way.

hard to believe it will use 80 watts in idle.

Will underclocking it reduce power? Sometimes it doesn't.

MSI Afterburner

You can set 2D profiles while being undervolted and then set 3D settings to kick in when it needs to. I think thats the best your going to get. Why don't you try an undervolt w/ stock freqs and see where you can land stable. Odds are you can run slightly undervolted fine w/ stock freqs.

ATI Adrealy have one i'm not sure it's called that way on desktop bu on my laptop 4850 it's called power play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom