I need assembly advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

grand_larceny

Beta member
In the pantheon of problems this barely even shows up. It is this: I am getting a computer for christmas, but it is basically a blank check for $1000, and I don't know exactly what to get. I know, barely even qualifies as a problem, more like part of the fun of building a computer.

But this is my first time building a computer, but I have a brother that is knowledgable, so it shouldn't be too hard.

I have picked out a whole custom setup from newegg, and any advice on better parts or prices:

Mobo: $110 Intel D865GLCLK P4/Celeron [HT ready] integrated audio, LAN, Video (micro ATX, 478 pin)
CPU: $168 P4 3.0E GHz HT 800 MHz FSB, 1 Mg L2 cache
Video: $198 Refurbished 9800 Pro ALL-IN-WONDER
Sytem memory: 2x $80 512 Mg DDR400 pc3200
HDD: $60 80 GB excelstor 7200 rpm
Optical: $43.50 Sony Combo Drive CD-R/W DVD, 52write 32rewrite 52read 16DVDread
Network: $26.00 EDIMAX 102.11b wirless card, external extended antenna (on a cable)
Monitor: $130 ORION 17in Flat CRT
Case/PSU: $56.00 RAIDMAX micro ATX compatible, 7 expansion slots, 3 case fans, 420x PSU [http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-156-140&depa=1]

Any advice AT ALL would be invaluable. Thanks for helping the noobie, thanks to all, in advance.

well I just did a quick glance, but a couple things I noticed was that you should really look into getting a SATA drive. They are like $5 more for the 7200RPM SATA drive but the plus to it is of course that it has 150mb/sec transfer rate. So even if you can't afford the 10,000RPM drives you should still go with SATA just for the faster transfer RATE. Also less cabling because the SATA cables are smaller. Also make sure the HD has an 8mb Buffer on it.

You should really look into getting a different graphics card than refurbished all-in-wonder. Something like this would be better unless you absolutely want the TV features and whatnot:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=322698

I agree with Nubius and Sniper, most people come here trying to work out getting a gaming computer with 600$. But your budget is more flexible, if you want Intel get the 3.4ghz 800fsb cpu. For Intel i wouldent get anything under that besides the 3.2 Extreme Edition.

Yeh.. codeine is right go for the p43.6ghz is your gonna get one but AMD 64 beats the p4.... O_O

Mobo: I've never heard of this mobo, but I would suggest something (socket compatible to your chosen CPU of course) made by ASUS, A-Bit, or MSI.
CPU: Not bad, but what do you plan to do with your computer? If it's more gaming oriented, buy an AMD 3000+ (64 is better but not incredibly) which will match a 3GHZ Intel (3000 tells you what it equates to against Intel).
Video: In short, NO! Buy a Sapphire 9800 Pro, I haven't heard anything good about AIW cards. The aforementioned card will run you maybe another $10 and has a flawless reputation.
Sytem memory: Sounds pretty cheap, what brand of RAM? Kingston, Corsair, and Mushkin are all the most reputable RAM companies.
HDD: Make sure it's at least ATA 133, if not SATA, and has an 8mb buffer!
Optical: For just $5-$10 more, buy a DVD RW. It will do all the same stuff your current one does but also burns DVDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom