I can't build them fast enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
Ok. It all started with a mutual friend of the family who asked me what type of desktop he should buy for his daughter to go off to college. I explained a few simple (do's and don'ts) to him and he went out looking for a PC. A few days later he called me to ask me which of the desktops would be the best bargin. All of them were garbage. Either the came with crappy CPU'S or 256MB ram and endless other negatives.
So I asked him to give me a budget and I would buy the parts and build him a Desktop that would be less then what he found and be futureproof. He agreed and gave me $1200.00. Then I purchased the parts from newegg.com - I won't go into all the specs of that PC, but if you try to configure the same desktop from say, (DELL) it would cost you at least $1500 to $1800. The final total was $1,134.00 with S&H.

I built the desktop, got it all setup with the OS and other software that he wanted and packaged it up and his daughter brought it off to college. About a week later he calls me back. A friend of his daughters parents are interested in me building them a PC too. Which I did and charged them $199.00 to build and install and an additional $99 for a year of tech support. The only calls that i've got from either of them is basic (spyware - adware - firewall questions) Just from the word of mouth from those two builds i've started a small side business, building people affordable PC's that will rival any major PC company.

With the proper advertising and the help of word of mouth, i'm building about 10 PC's a month. So far i haven't run into any customer problems and everyone is extremely happy with my builds.

What i'd like to ask all of you great users of this forum is this:

Give me 5 types of components and (manufacturer) that you have had experience with and found to be reliable. This will help me in my future builds.

1.) CPU
2.) MOBO
3.) RAM
4.) Disk Drives
5.) Hard Drives

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

1: AMD and Intel CPU's are both very good as long as their not celeron's or sempron's.

2: Intel mobo's are good for the type of people your building PC's for. Asus are also pretty good even though a bit buggy as well as DFI. Gigabyte is a good value board and everyone here loves ABIT.

3: Best value ram has to go to samsung (in Canada at least)

4: Like DVD's and CD's? Anything but liteon. Sony, LG, and Pioneer seem to be good choices.

5: Western Digital or Seagate all the way.

2.4 Celeron D
Biostar U8668D
-
Liteon
Western Digital

My shop sells tons of these setups and they never come back. This is for the basic user

to contrast a bit with dj

1. celerons and semprons are fine if they arn't playing games and doing basic school work number cruching kinda stuff.

2. what dj said

3. yup..samsung is good value

4. dj says it good.

5. ya....those two companies...i've got a 15 gig 5600rpm fugitsu hd that is running in another computer...it's 7 years old...so if they kept up their quality, they can be good too i guess.

and i wish people would come to me for this....i'd love to just do that for a livin'...

Seagate harddrives are coming back strong, good quality and a 5 year manufacturer's warrenty... can't go wrong with that.

I was a bit harsh on the Celeron's and Sempron's. Use their high clockspeeds as a sellpoint to the average user. If you were to give the average person a choice between a 2.4GHZ p4 and a 2.6GHZ Celeron, their gonna go celeron.

I started a side business too, I've only made 1 sale in 6 months too. you are lucky.

1.) CPU -My AMD Duron 1.3GHZ has been a smooth runner, I've had it for about 3.5 years now. Solid chip that is cheap and still runs most current games.
2.) MOBO -My Abit KV8 Pro seems to be doing great after about 3 months of working.
3.) RAM -OCZ el Platinum. Far from budget, but I like it.
4.) Disk Drives -na
5.) Hard Drives -Just an FYI, I have a western digital 40gig that has been running pretty much fine for about 5.5 years, and my 80gig seagate seems to be irreparably damaged after 3 months.

True_Orb said:
1.) CPU -My AMD Duron 1.3GHZ has been a smooth runner, I've had it for about 3.5 years now. Solid chip that is cheap and still runs most current games.

oh ya, i gave my dad my 1.3 duron when i got my new computer and it's still kickin' pretty sweet.

1 - Athlon XP 2200+, ive put it through Hell, and it still chugs along.

2 - Seagate 80gb ATA HDD, put one in my External HDD, its great, fast and quiet.

3 - Asus a7n8x-x, i replaced a stupid Gigabyte motherboard that failed with that Asus board. Works Great.

4. - Generic Dell Optical Mouse (i was given by a friend, seems to work fine)

thats it from me

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom