I am new to OC'ing. What should I OC to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPL Tech

In Runtime
I just got a new custom computer and I am possibly looking to overclock it. But first of all what exactly is overclocking? I understand the basics of what it is, but I would like a little more detailed information of what it involves. Secondly, what do I all need to overclock my system? What do I need to do to overclock my system? And what is a SAFE speed to over clock to? I donÂ’t want to burn anything up. I have my caseÂ’s temperature sensor attacked to my CPUÂ’s heatsink, and on average it reads 70 degrees F. It never goes over 85 degrees F.

This is what I have:

Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Retail

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 1066MHz FSB LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400 - Retail

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Keyboard: Sunbeam EL-KB-07SL 2-Tone PS/2 Wired Standard Illuminated Keyboard - Retail

PSU: ENERMAX Whisper II EG565P-VE FMA(24P) ATX12V 535W Power Supply - Retail

Video card: Open Box: connect3D 3056 Radeon X1900XT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM

Monitor: Hanns·G JW-199DPB Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Floppy drive: MITSUMI Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive - OEM

Case: APEVIA (ASPIRE) MX-PLEASURE-BK Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case ATX 500W dual fan w/ automatic fan speed control. Connector 20 + 4 pin Power Supply - Retail

Optical drive: LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SHW160P6S05 - OEM

Simpler version:
CPU: Core Two Duo 2.13 GHz. E6400
RAM: 2 GB. Corsair 800 MHz. XMS2 DDR2
Graphics: X1900XT 512MB Connect3D
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
PSU: 535 watt Enermax Whisper II
HD: 250 GB. Seagate Barracuda 16 MB.
OD: 52X DVD±RW

moved to overclocking section

edit:

overclocking, definition: to make a component run above it's manufacturer designated frequency.

in all honesty no one is going to tell you how to overclock here it will just take to long. however many people have taken a considerable length of time making guides on overclocking. at the top of this overclocking section there are several. if you read those and perhaps google some information you'll understand the fundamentals and i (and others) will be more than happy to answer any of your questions provided we don't need to type a 3 page guide like this question ;)

haha good thing i remembered where i posted this cuz i wasn't willing to retype it out again.

to OC:

1. first go to gigabyte's webiste and update your BIOS with the program @BIOS (it's on your CD that came w/ the mobo)

2. read up on OCing on the sticky tread here and in your manual because it's really not that great to just go on what other people explain to you because they might assume you know stuff you don't.

3. boot up your computer.

4. just tap the [delete] key until you get into a blue scree (BIOS)

5. once in BIOS you'll be able to OC there. you can also get more options by pressing Ctrl + F1. (it mostly gives you options for tweaking ram and stuff but it's still really useful.

6. from there just up the FSB and set the memory divider to 2:1 (which is actually 1:1 for DS3's for some reason) and up the vcore when you get unstable.

i can't say for sure what a safe temp is for your cpu but i never let mine get up past 50-55. Intel says not to go over 60 but a guy on here "accidently" had his running around 80 for a while before noticing and it still works fine now.

BTW we have the same cpu adn mobo...my E6400 is at 3.2Ghz right now but i have really good air cooling and pretty expensive ram. I'd suggest you first go for 2.8 and then 3.2 if you still can.

vcore probably shouldn't go much over 1.45 until you know for sure what you're doing

OH YEAH...for the record, DDR2 memory runs at half of what the name says it is (DDR2-800 runs at 400mhz..etc) there've been lots of people having that problem with that lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom