Hyperthreading & "slow" P4B's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray

Beta member
Researching for a new DIY PC, not any sort of expert so need help ... (tried asking on the Hardware Zone forum but no response).

I will be running XP Pro & the new motherboard will use Intel 875P chipset.

Intel say that the only P4b (533mhz FSB) that supports hyperthreading is the top-of-the-line 3.06ghz.

I've read many times P4's classed as a 2.4ghz can be overclocked way past 3.06ghz.

The Question:
Has anyone managed to get hyperthreading to work on a 'slow' P4b e.g., an overclocked 2.4ghz unit???

Any help welcome (most especially if you've been there and done it ... if's but's & maybe's are doing my head in)

Cheers, Ray

From what I understand, HT technology is not 'only' dependent on your processor speed but it is also a built-in hardware.

Where did you get this info? That's exactly the detail I'm looking for. :p

Cheers, Ray
(PS - done a bit more research just now and on a different forum a guy points out that really slow* XEON processors support HT. Hmmm ... looked into this and it's not the answer I wanted i.e., yes the Xeon is a P4, no it's not a P4b. In fact it's a socket 603/4 product - not exactly mainstream :rolleyes:
* see ftp://download.intel.com/design/Xeon/datashts/25193102.pdf ... HT at a mere 1.5ghz!!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom