Hyper48 Heatsink Contact Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaderpro

Fully Optimized
After applying an even coat of arctic silver check out the aewsome contact:

img0879pl7.jpg

Anyone an expert on lapping? No wonder i could never get my temps right...Any other advice?? I've emailed Coolermaster....any comments welcome.

Is there anything wrong?

The as5 seems to have done what its supposed to do. Spread out very very thinly and keep good contact between the cpu and hsf. It seems to me like you had it down very tight, and all the paste was pressed out of the middle. Theres no porblem that i can readily forsee there.

To lap:

Go to like an auto store or hardware store and get some 1000 grit, and some 2000 grit sandpaper.

Find the smoothest surface you can possibly find. A piece of glass is your best bet.

Wet the 1000 grit sandpaper, and put even pressure on the heatsinc, and rub in circles over the sandpaper. Don't really apply too much pressure, the weight of your hand and the weight of the heatsinc should be fine. Don't go in one path the whole time, go in circles one way, then the other, just rub it all over.

Then, get the 2000 grit paper wet, and do the same. If done right, you should have a near-mirror shine from the bottom.

Pepsiboy700 said:
You could have put too much on....

i agree, there is nothing wrong in that picture except the extra paste that is evident... but it doesnt hurt anything. LAPPING YOUR HSF IS NOT ADVISABLE! it is too easy to screw it up. if you don't lap it perfectly, you will end up with a lopsided heatsink! besides, your hs is already like 100x smoother than the chip you are trying to put it on.... 150x smoother will not make a difference. if you lap anything, you should lap the chip which is an even worse idea.
the AS5 is liquidy for a reason... it fills in the gaps so you dont have to lap!

just wipe off the paste and try again.

***you have to let AS-5 set up for at least 100 hrs and many temp cycles before it works optimally... do no overclock the first day and a half after you apply it!!!********

Thanks for all the replys!! This pic above is with a very small amount of paste evenly spread out over cpu...i then pressed the HS on by hand..i did not tighten with the screws...i can see your guy's points...but what im saying is:

- it was not contacting at all in the middle...the HS base is concave!

My temps were 52 at idle with a proper amount of thermal paste...

I just lapped my HS as per above and google...it was not difficult..as I am good with my hands....i could see some one screwing it up, but patience is key...

When i started sanding you could tell only the outer edges were touching...

I just booted and im sittin here at 43 degrees celcius at idle...i figure another 3-6 degrees drop after setting in arctic silver...

yippee!

Cheers :D :) :bald:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom