HWMonitor glitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
I found out that I had my Folding@Home set to 75% and my 4.1GHz i7 stayed at 60C or less so I set it to 100. Now it hovers around 65C according to my motherboard utility (Gigabyte EasyTune6). Since EasyTune doesn't record maximum and minimum temperatures I got HWMonitor and let it run. This isn't the first time I've used it but it's the first time I've seen it record temperatures exceeding 120C.

Looking closer, the monitoring chip has 3 temperature readings. The second one coincides with the GIgabyte EasyTune6 CPU temperature so I'm assuming that is the motherboard's CPU reading. The third I think is the northbridge but I'm not sure. I also have the 4 core temperatures from the CPU itself.

This morning I woke up to see that my CPU exceeded 120C, or so HWMonitor thought. The core temperatures were perfectly reasonable but the TMPIN2 reading maxed at 123C. What would cause this? Is it a glitch in HWMonitor's ability to read that chip? All the times I've been at the PC it seems to read the temperature fine and I don't know how the motherboard's CPU temp monitor would hit 123 if the CPU cores never exceeded 70.

cpuid.png

Best way to find out, use another program at the same time and see if it ends up giving the same result. Might be a glitch in the sensor, too.

The "CPU" temp should be the temperature of the LGA 1366 socket directly below the cpu itself. It should never exceed the temperature of the cpu cores themselves, or I don't know how it possibly could. If it's not a faulty sensor then I would suspect the Mosfets (Voltage Regulator Circuitry) as they do get hot.

Here's a pic , I've highlighted the Mosfet heat sinks.
giga.jpg

I suspect HWMonitor doesn't read the chip correctly, HWMonitor reports that my 12V line is around 8V which would mean my PC shouldn't be running. EasyTune6 says it is running at 12.048V. Another suspicious indication in that screenshot is the fan speeds. Fans 0 and 1 (Rosewill 75CFM's on my H50 radiator) seem fine but fan 2 should run around 1400RPM (it's the Corsair H50 pump) and it never gets to 2000 let alone 2600 which HWMonitor indicates. Also there isn't a fan plugged into 3 and yet HWMonitor reads 20RPM, EasyTune reads 0.

I'm pretty sure the temp 2 sensor is CPU and located on or under the socket as it stays right with the CPU most of the time. I don't know what the MOSFET's are on, maybe temp 1. I didn't think they were that hot as I can touch the heatsinks and it doesn't feel too hot. I did notice my temp 3 sensor getting around 70-80 and figured it was because I increased IOH (which is northbridge voltage if I'm not mistaken). I turned up my side mounted intake fan and it went back down to around 50.

Also there's no way the "Gigabyte DES" results are right. My CPU certainly isn't using 4 megawatts and the DES application does read it correctly around 100-120W with overclocking so I think it's a HWMonitor issue. What other programs are popular to read sensor information?

I get 20,000RPM+ on my CPU fan, but that's because I don't use one. Seems odd that it would give a number regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom