HTPC temp issue with 9800gt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So hoping someone else has a better solution for me. I have an 9800gt in a HTPC, unfortunately the fan is too loud so I swaped in the accelero rev 2 on it, knowing the past its made big differences on my other cards.

Anyways, idle is at 50C but load it climbs up over 100C at which point I turn it off....what's going on? That doesn't make sense does it? There isn't a ton of airflow in the case because i'm trying to keep temps down but that seems still seems excessive.

Using mx-2 paste and have re-set the heat sink 3 times...same results. The 100+ temps are showing up when I run F@H. Any other ideas?

[edit]after stressing to 100+ the idle temp is now raised to 80c....what??? my 9800gtx+ runs at 60C @ load. Also, is running on my 42" plasma at 1080i HD. don't know if that matters for idle temps[/edit]

Download rivatuner and up the fan speed, see if it helps. Unless you have already adjusted the fan speed?

I keep my 9800GTX at 85 just because I dont like it any louder than it goes at 85, idles at about 45 and 60 on load

He's running a passive heatsink on the chip, no fan on it.

You gotta get some air into the case otherwise your gonna fry some parts.
And that passive heatsink needs airflow to perform, in a large case you can get away with not mounting a fan to it because there is usually some form of airflow through the case, but in your case I would say a fan on it is mandatory, if not necessary.

ohhh... duh i mixed it up, sorry, still passive on a 9800gt is cutting it close esp in a htpc. what about stock cooler and just lowering fan speed?

The same thing happened to me with a XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition. I bought an AC Accelero 2 since it was advertised to be able to cool passively. Unfortunately, this did not hold true and temps were climbing to 110 degrees Celsius. I fixed this by using zip ties to secure an Antec 120mm TriCool on Low to the frame of the cooler. Now the temperatures are manageable, plus the fan is near silent.

ohhh... duh i mixed it up, sorry, still passive on a 9800gt is cutting it close esp in a htpc. what about stock cooler and just lowering fan speed?

The stock 8800GT/9800GT cooler sucks.

Its loud, and doesn't cool very well at low speeds and if it gets any dust inside, it can only be removed by pulling the whole thing off. And the dust can make temps rise even more.

Heres what im gonna recommend, one of the best cooling solutions for the 8800GT.

EVGA | Products

It should be in stock very soon, its made for the reference 8800GT but im pretty sure the reference 9800GT follows the same exact design. Very good cooler, looks great and cools great too...and its very quiet up until 50% fan speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom