Hrm, making a voyage into semi-new territory...

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
So, I have been throwing junk away and came across something that I thought I trashed LONG ago, an old Black Ice XtremeIII radiator...

If I remember right, my old setup had 1/2ID, sadly this radiator is missing it's barbs... But, I am seriously considering going back to water cooling for the server sitting in my closet... Those little 8350's put out some serious heat at times it seems. (My 212EVO can't keep up with it under heavy load).

So curiously, is there a way to salvage this radiator? Where could I get barbs from? The last time I touched WC was when DD was still around and highly popular...

Any recomendations on a good trio of 120mm fans that aren't too awfully loud (mind you, this is in a closet so I wont hear much from it anyways), water pump, and water block? Do people still do the old T line for bleeding these days or are resevoirs actually fairly good now for that purpose?

What about the water lines? Tygon was the go-to type of line back then, but every time I take a gander at builds, they are using hard plastic tubes so...?

I guess it comes down to, someone wanna give me a pump, block, line, and res models to look at that would let me salvage this rad?

While at it - I can NOT use a bay style res, and room is severely limited, the case is a Rosewill THOR, but as I said, this is also a server, so it's crammed pack full of stuff...

Or... Should I REALLY just cheap out and get an AIO? Are they any more reliable than they was back in ~2008?

Last edited:
AIOs have always been reliable since 09 (when the H50 came out). Mine still works, although I messed up the pump cable trying to put it on my Athlon XP.

PETG and Acrylic tubing are for the champs that have too much time on their hands. It takes a long time to get those bends right and I'm sure you don't want to stand around with a floppy soaped up schlong and a heat gun measuring constantly and bending tubes. So we'll put that aside.

On the other hand, if you don't have much room and don't have barbs anymore, you can use 3/8 tubing and newer compression fittings. Take note you'll need at least 6 at 5.99 a pop for cheap EK fittings. You can get good D5 and small tube res combos for cheap for around 80-100 bucks. You'll need a block too, which for that I recommend EK. You're looking at about a 220 dollar investment or you can spend 100 on an H110i and call it a day. Your call.

Would an H110i have issues keeping the CPU as cool as possible in a closet that has a high ambient temp on hotter days? The closet does reach upwards of 100F on some days(When it's just too friggin hot out) because I have to close the vents otherwise I start to become increasingly uncomfy.

Not leaning away from doing an AIO, just worried about possible heat load next summer.

I think I am going to do something similar to what Linus did with the whole room WC and moving the rads elsewhere, but not as large scale... I could in theory mount the Rad outside the closet, run coolant lines inside the closet and down inside of the case, and leave the pump/res outside of the case as well... The D5 is good for 6 to 12 foot of tubing if I am not mistaken, or should I consider two pumps, one pumping coolant to the CPU, and one pumping coolant back up to the res/rad?

Condensation wont be bad as the closet has a very low humidity point (I have about 40 pounds of silica beads in there, don't ask, long story) so having the block being at a lower temp than the closet at times will be fine.

Hrm, thanks for the info PP, you have actually given me a few ideas after showing that MO-RA3... lol

Bleh, I hate when I do this... Can't edit e.e

OK, I am going ahead with what I stated earlier, plan on a pair of D5 pumps, having radiators mounted remotely and so on.

So, that brings me to something I have ZERO experience with... Quick Disconnects... At some point I will have to pull my server, and rather not have to drain the lines, so what brand should I look at? Any good ones out there? In my research theres a ton, but they all confuse me. Seems everyone has multiple kinds, and sell the male and female sides seperately... The disconnects would be located outside the case mid-line to make my life simpler... Wanna toss me some part #'s or?

I am looking at Koolance part numbers QD4-FS13X19-BK and QD4-MS13X19-BK those are compatible, correct? Or is there a better brand/style?

Good, good, then I am on the right path, will probably order with in the next month :D

Thanks for the thoughts/info PP.

Now, to plan this all out... Shall be interesting :D

By the way, you wouldn't happen to know of any websites that sell plexi/acrylic sheets that are reliable, would you? Plan on having a case like setup outside the closet to show the rads/pumps/res and such off, so I figure a clear plexi like case and some other parts would come in handy.

Limited time to be honest, I get maybe 2 hours a week to sit and do what I consider my relaxation period, rest of the time I am at work or sleeping. :(

I was looking at a Core P200 to mount on the wall, but realized the top panel is only there from the W/P200 series since they are meant to be used together.

Back
Top Bottom