HP Pavilion Dv6

luke127

The Ghost
Hey guys just wanted to ask, is there anything I can do to make this thing run any cooler whilst playing minecraft or tekkit. (Tekkit is minecraft with a ton of addons). Tekkit in particular makes the pc heat increase dramatically. I had mum buy a cooling pad from our local computer store, it works okish during normal use, but when I start playing tekkit, the computer just decides to completely ignore the pad as if it's not there xD The temp of the CPU rises rather quickly.

I'm considering pulling the back cover off, just to have a look at the vents to make sure they're not blocked with dust etc etc, although the vents do have hot air coming out. Put your hand there and you'll feel it :p

So what can I do to make this thing run cooler whilst playing? I also play for long periods of time. Like 4-5 hours sometimes, sometimes longer!

If you can get to the heatsinks then repaste and make sure there isn't a layer of dust on the heatsinks. Laptops accumulate right on the inside of the heatsink so it's hard to get it out with canned air itself. They usually have an inch or more which completely blocks airflow from the tiny fans.

Also laptops run hotter than desktops so your CPU might run somewhere in the neighborhood of 80c.

The dv6 line runs notoriously hot, so there's not much you can do honestly.

You can do like what PP suggested and clean out the vents and re-paste the GPU/CPU, but it's still not going to help much, just for the fact that the HP dv6's always overheat. It's honestly probably one of HP's worst laptop lines, IMO.

Well here's a pain in my rear. I pulled off the cover and guess what, the fan is in a complete different section -_- So all I can get at is the RAM, HDD and wireless networking chip. That's it.

To get at the fan I'd have to pull the whole case in half with a screw driver xD

Well here's a pain in my rear. I pulled off the cover and guess what, the fan is in a complete different section -_- So all I can get at is the RAM, HDD and wireless networking chip. That's it.

To get at the fan I'd have to pull the whole case in half with a screw driver xD

Yep that's exactly what you'll have to do. A pain, but necessary.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

Someone say DV6XXX? Heres a story for you, one of the models that have an Nvidia GPU used FOUR of those thermal pads to make up for a gap between the GPU DIE and the copper base of the heatsink... Needless to say, these things are horribly constructed, there is/was a recall on some batteries for them, and HP used some of the WORST manufacturing ideas I have ever seen in a machine. The size of the gap? About the thickness of a penny... I actually took a penny and placed between the gap with a gop of grease on both sides and temps dropped ~30C.

IMO, DV6, throw it away, being serious, I EVER have to work on one of those again, I will just lie to the customer and give them their options.

Someone say DV6XXX? Heres a story for you, one of the models that have an Nvidia GPU used FOUR of those thermal pads to make up for a gap between the GPU DIE and the copper base of the heatsink... Needless to say, these things are horribly constructed, there is/was a recall on some batteries for them, and HP used some of the WORST manufacturing ideas I have ever seen in a machine. The size of the gap? About the thickness of a penny... I actually took a penny and placed between the gap with a gop of grease on both sides and temps dropped ~30C.

IMO, DV6, throw it away, being serious, I EVER have to work on one of those again, I will just lie to the customer and give them their options.

Sounds about right for the dv6 line. I haven't had to do that much for one (fortunately), but I know what you mean.

Wish I could guys, but unfortunately I don't have the money to buy another laptop with better cooling. From now on, I'll be avoiding the HP laptops because tbh this one has been a piece of tin that's not even worth my time.

Anyone got a recommendation on a laptop that is around 800-900 AUD that would suit my needs, preferably without any heat problems?

Back
Top Bottom