HP Comp Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3dS3rialKill3r

Solid State Member
One of my friends has a HP and was wondering if it is upgradable. both him and i have heard that is isnt because of the way it is built. Can someone confirm this?

Yeah, basically they build them so you HAVE to take it to them to get it upgraded. The motherboard is to their specifications and the whole system is built around it. This isn't to say you couldn't add RAM or something like that, but how much of what speed would be the questions, and same goes for CPU's, god knows what that board is capable of handling without contacting the manufacturer. All brands like HP, Dell, Compaq, PeoplePC, all make their computers this way.

All in all it depends on what exactly he wants to upgrade, but generally their cases are completely different, layout is, and so is the motherboard =/

So your saying if he wanted to make a better comp then he would rpolly have to build a whole new comp?(assuming he didnt want to pay them to upgrade it)

well, my mobo (p4s-la) was apparently originally in an HP pavillion before it came to me and I have done some serious upgrading from its original 1.5g P4. I have added vid cards (this one oc'd), a p4 2.4 (oc'd to about 2.7) which I can upgrade up to a 2.8g, sound card, PSU, burner, tuner card, USB ports, ethernet cards, new case, more RAM.....so yes some HP boards are upgradeable. My board fits into standard ATX cases and have not had any probs except being able to get the onboard ethernet port to work.

--jak

Yes some are upgradable, as i have an old hp myself (amd 1600, 256mb ram...) i had no troubles upgrading the video card, but i took a look at the power supply and it was 200watt. im suprised it still works. dunno if im right but mabey the older hp's are upgradable?

i had no troubles upgrading the video card,
This is why I said it depends on what kind of upgrading he wants to do. I listed things such as RAM and Video Card he can upgrade, but as far as RAM and a CPU goes, you'd need to find out what the max the board can handle is...how much of what speed of RAM basically is what you need to know.

plus u probly upgraded to a PCI GPU which won't clash with your system as much as AGP cards, which shouldn't much either

Well it helps if you tell us what type of motherboard you have. Or if you seen "Integrated" in the computers hand book.

integrated graphix is what ****s you up bad, then you must go for pci graphix, you can tell just by looking and seeing if there is an agp slot above your pci slots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom