How well does an AMD x2 4200 overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny_uk

Fully Optimized
As title guys just wondered really?

In Everest it says mine is a Manchester if that makes a difference

Of course that depends on my mobo aswell right?

I got this pc prebuilt from a shop over a year ago so its only got some random MSI board in it, is that going to be my letdown here and deciding factor on what i can oc to?

I've got one, I can get 2.6 on my crappy mobo, Gigabyte M55SLI-S4

I can get higher if I totally downclock my RAM, but I don't wan't to heh

I've got one, I can get 2.6 on my crappy mobo, Gigabyte M55SLI-S4

I can get higher if I totally downclock my RAM, but I don't wan't to heh

Ahh maybe mine is ok then? i mean i know its not a high spec mobo but i dont think its totally pants either because its not THAT old

Ahh maybe mine is ok then? i mean i know its not a high spec mobo but i dont think its totally pants either because its not THAT old

I have no idea about motherboards lol, I know that there are 1-3 top ones for each company (AMD and Intel) and I know mine isn't one of them :p

anyways, just try overclocking, if you reach a stand still try underclocking your ram (or doing that before you oc the CPU) and making sure that your mobo will keep pci/agp capped at 100 or you might experience some problems

make sure that you can boot before you just start clocking because as a noober, I used to just raise it, see if it would post then raise it again and had quite a few time consuming problems

voltage should be raised once you even clock it a little bit because it'll add lots of stability, but with that stability comes loads of heat so make sure you check your CPU's temps via diagnostic program while your PC is in 100% load (both cores) with Prime95 or Orthos or w/e

yeah i would suggest underclocking the ram in the beginning, it keeps the ram from being a stability factor while trying to increase your HTT.
also, make sure you lower the HT multi, it will be auto or 5 in your bios, and you want to make it 4 (once you get your HTT to 250 you will want to lower it to 3...keep the HT bus under 1000 for stability reasons).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom