How Stable Is Overclocking an AMD 3200+ Winchester Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstonFanboy

Baseband Member
I already have a gigbayte motherboard that supports socket 939. (http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4830937)

I am going to buy an AMD 64 s939 3200+ 2.0 Winchester core.

I have read many reviews about people overclocking their amd 3200's to 2.4-2.7 and I would like to know if this is stable and how long it would stay stable. I talked to a guy that had a regular amd oc'd from 2400+ to 3700+ and he said it was fine for the first year but now it is very flakey.

HOW RELIABLE ARE AMD 64'S TO OVERCLOCK?
AND SHOULD I OC OR NOT?

It all depends on your temps. If you can keep a cool processor then its going to stay stable very long. Gigabytes are by no means great for OC. But you can OC though. I think you should OC, it would work better if you had a different mobo though.

The 3200+ 939 you bought should be a great overclocking chip provided you have hardware that will keep up (usually Motherboard, RAM, PSU are main issues).

Overclocking right and keeping your system will keep it "safe" for years to come. If you plan on keeping your computer for 6+ years then maybe you shouldn't...but honestly if you want to keep it that long you are going to have FAR greater problems than having it burn up (meaning in 5yrs. or more you will need a new computer so bad this one will seem like a piece of crap to the new stuff)

Most 3200+'s get to 2.4GHz no problems...from there it's all dependent on the rest of your hardware and how cool you can get it. I haven't seen too many people hit past 2.6GHz on air cooling...which is pretty fast none the less.

You will want to ditch your stock cooler if you do overclock and get a solid aftermarket cooler and high CFM fan for good cooling. Once you get into cooling methods you can go your own route.

i got 2.6 on stock air with only 2 fans (1X120mm and 1X80mm both real crap) and im only getting 52C after 6 hours of prime completerly stable value ram and an A8N works great

Sh0r_ty, im surprised you got those results with that kind of cooling. Is that a Newcastle?? When you say can reach 2.6ghz, does that mean you dont run it like that?

Winchesters are better to OC than newcastles or at least they have the potential to oc further.

Right now i have 512 ram is that enough to oc my amd 3200, the gigabyte motherboard is fine and I will definitely look for copper s939 cpu fans (as copper is the best metal of cpu fan you can get)

In my bios under CMOS SETUP MB INTELIGENT TWEAKER
(this is a picture from the manual)
===============================================
CPU OverClock in MHz [200]
AGP OverClock in MHz [66]
CPU Voltage Control [Normal]
AGP Voltage Control [Normal]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU OverClock in MHz
200~300 increase CPU frequency as user selected
AGP OverClock in MHz
66~100 Increase AGP frequency as user selected
===============================================

Is this where I overclock the amd 3200+ and what would I put in to oc it?

ok change 200 to 220 and see if that works but reed the ocing topic at the top if the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom