how to speed up my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

808Flip

Beta member
my startup sucks! macafee takes forever and runs a crapload of background tasks, plus I have other things, like quicktime and msn messenger that i don't know how to prevernt from auto starting! how do i fix this? i know how to take things off of the list and all, but how do i know whats wat? ex: some of these things, like "issch" , "NvCpl", "AvRmtCtr", "hpztsb07", "RTHDCPL"............etc i have no idea what the heck they are?!

as for shutdown, i found a guide as to how to change the delay windows puts on shutdown and changed it from 20 secs to 4 secs. Which is awesome, but i can't help but worry.......... is this doing anything wrong? will i hurt anything by changing the delay from 20 down to 4? and why was it at 20 in the first place?!?! seems, well, odd

pc specs jus in case:

Vaio FS laptop
512 ram
pentium M, 1.86 GHZ
100gig hd

Open the start menu, then go to "run" Type in "msconfig" (without the quotes of course) and hit ok. click on the "startup" tab. If you have a really long list, then thats why you are having a slow startup. All of those are being run when you turn on your PC. Its ok to disable pretty much all of them. :) If there is something you know you dont need, like "adobe updater" or "quicktime task" you can disable. If you dont know what something is, just google what it says. You can disable the MSN and quicktime in there. :)

Is it ok for my shutdown delay to be 4 seconds? It was at 20 so idk........ y was it set so high in the first place?

even though msconfig is good its more of a bandaid. If you have any cpu background this should be easy for you to accomplish.

Go to the startmenu/run/regedit

you will than need to go to these folders Hkey_Local_Machine/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run *hint* You can also go to runonce to see if any programs are in there.. but run is the most common place for startup

You will see a bunch of things. I would suggest finding them and copying and pasting the names if you are not sure. Most of the time unless you want to virus scan/firewall you can remove almost all of them. The only thing I kept was logitech because its for my mouse configuration.

Goodluck

as far as msn messenger, open it go to tools, opions, then preferences, uncheck the first 2 boxes,,,,, run windows messenger when windows starts and Allow windows messenger to run in background..... Make sure both are unchecked. close out of messenger and the little icon by the clock will be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom