How much is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiNoY-V

Solid State Member
I'm currently in the process of modding my box to hell. I thought I would start with aesthetics and I've already begun. So far I have:

- Two Cold Cathodes
- Eight LED fans (two in my modded Power Source)
- Fan controller (two knobs - 1 per three fans)
- cpu fan controller

I would like to get:

- Two rounded IDE cables with EL wire
- One rounded floppy cable with EL wire
- Two more cold cathodes

My question is this. Can my power source hack it?:confused: It's 500 watts, but i'm afraid that if i buy these last components something horrible will happen. The rest of the stuff hooked up to my motherboard is listed below. Can anyone give me any idea of how much is too much?:D

Hell, I dont think you should have any problem. Best thing to do is add up the watts of all the componets, and see if it stays a comfortable 50-75W under the max W of your PSU.

PiNoY-V said:
I'm currently in the process of modding my box to hell. I thought I would start with aesthetics and I've already begun. So far I have:

- Two Cold Cathodes
- Eight LED fans (two in my modded Power Source)
- Fan controller (two knobs - 1 per three fans)
- cpu fan controller

I would like to get:

- Two rounded IDE cables with EL wire
- One rounded floppy cable with EL wire
- Two more cold cathodes

My question is this. Can my power source hack it?:confused: It's 500 watts, but i'm afraid that if i buy these last components something horrible will happen. The rest of the stuff hooked up to my motherboard is listed below. Can anyone give me any idea of how much is too much?:D

8 fans!!! what temp do you idle at?

Re: Re: How much is too much?

inatey said:
8 fans!!! what temp do you idle at?

Inatey, well, after having the system up for a regular 8 hour day ambient case temps are anywhere from 18-21 degrees C depending on how much pr0n i'm looking at (j/k) and my cpu after an hour of burn-in gets up to 36C. That's with all the fans on low, i haven't tried them on high yet.:D

in5us3d said:
Hell, I dont think you should have any problem. Best thing to do is add up the watts of all the componets, and see if it stays a comfortable 50-75W under the max W of your PSU.

In5us3d, see, i tried doing that, but I had no clue how to calculate how much a cold cathode uses or how much el wire uses.

BUT!, being the uber geek i am, I found a site on the net that has a calculator for calculating wattage usage. But yea, i'm not too sure on how accurate they are.

Power Supply Calculator!

It says i need a Minimum Power Supply that can push 367Watts

But then add 6 for two more cold cathodes, and i'll say 15 for el. grand total = 388 and I have a 500w. So that seems pretty good, but who knows.

I guess it's time to break out the pencil and paper. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom