How much more overclock with water rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calzinger

Beer
How much more overclock can you get on your GPU when you water cool it?

I currently have an eVGA 6800 GT and can only get about 420/1120. It's actually a noticeable in-game difference, even though that overclock is on a very inefficient air cooling. The wind tunnel hasn't really done much of anything.

I have heard of water coolers hitting clocks of up to 500 on the core and 1500 on the memory. Will this be possible when I water cool my system later on this month?

Where can I get benchmarks on a water cooled system vs an air cooled system?

Go to www.xtremesystems.org, find anything there. Water cooling is all based on the parts you have and how well you set it up. The size of the radiator, fans on it, there are alot of variables. Because someone gets 600 on their GPU with water cooling dosent mean you will.

It will take more than water cooling to get 500/1500...

I have actually never even seen memory that high. The highest I have seen was a bit under 1400. There could be higher out there though.

Any ways, to get that kind of OC you will be looking at some sort of chilled cooling system and voltage mods. No way you will get anything close to that on stock voltages.

idiotec said:
It will take more than water cooling to get 500/1500...

I have actually never even seen memory that high. The highest I have seen was a bit under 1400. There could be higher out there though.

Any ways, to get that kind of OC you will be looking at some sort of chilled cooling system and voltage mods. No way you will get anything close to that on stock voltages.

Nah, my buddy did his 6600GT up at 450, and that is on STOCK eVGA cooling! I always advise him to take down that OC, but he dosent lsiten. He will fry it, and I will slap him with a nice big I-told-ya-so.

Anyway, you wouldnt need chilled water to get those speeds. You would just need to have a nice water cooling system and really know what you are doing. Water cooling is under rated, as you can hit some pretty high speeds with it if it is set up right.

Him said:
Nah, my buddy did his 6600GT up at 450, and that is on STOCK eVGA cooling! I always advise him to take down that OC, but he dosent lsiten. He will fry it, and I will slap him with a nice big I-told-ya-so.

Anyway, you wouldnt need chilled water to get those speeds. You would just need to have a nice water cooling system and really know what you are doing. Water cooling is under rated, as you can hit some pretty high speeds with it if it is set up right.
huh? A 6600GT has a stock core of 500, so 450 would be an underclock.

Anyways, hes talking about a 6800GT, which has a stock core of 350. 450 I would guess would be MAX for a 6800GT on stock voltage, and most likely even that is a very rare occurance.

?? I'm all confused, and damn tired. Why the hell is the 6600GT core clock higher than the 6800GT? He was lying to me than, I'll slap him.

With good water..covering ram as well except 450/1280 or so..

The 6800's do more work per Mhz..have higher buses..better architecture etc..so..yea thats why even though a 6600gt is higher clocked it doesnt preform nearly as well (basically like amd and intel p4)

lol Him you need to make sure you got your clock facts straight per card.....I've seen people make that mistake all the time, but you did label yourself as the "Wisdom giver" here in this section so you should know what you're talking about in those instances right?

With good water..covering ram as well except 450/1280 or so..
I'd say it'd have to be really good water cooling.....I know a lot of people seem to be maxing out around 430's, 440's for the core and anywhere from 1200-1300 for the memory.

I know mine with a maze4 and ramsinks was maxing out at 435/1185 and it of course never got above 52C load....I think if you wanted to go beyond that you'd need to use something like nibitor and change your voltage through the bios up .1 or flash to an Ultra BIOS then you could go higher.....I always afraid to do that personally...heard of a lot of peoples GT's dying after a couple months of use like that regardless of core temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom