How long do you wait between upgrades??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerX

Baseband Member
I'm just curious to see how often people upgrade their systems.
Me I wait about 3 years or until affordable CPU's and MB's are out that are about 3X as fast or more as what I currently have. (whichever comes first)

For Example

I started out with my parents 386sx-12Mhz in '91, switched to 486 50 Mhz in '94, went to a Pentium 150 Mhz in '96, then switched to an AMD K6-2 450mhz in '99, and am now currently at at Athon XP1700+ running at 1.4Ghz that I put together in 2002.
Hmmm almost 3 years again...guess it's time to upgrade.
:)
MY dad still uses the old 386 with dos 6.22 and lotus to generate tests for all his classes. He just refuses to go with anything newer.
I was able to give my Grandparents the 486 which they use daily.

My parents refused to buy new computers when I was growing up, so I either inherited or bought all mine. In 91, I had a 386sx 8MHz, but had to keep that till 2000 when I inherited a 233MHz Pentium MMX. I kept that till 2003, when I got a job and bought an HP Pavillion with a GeForce4 MX integraded and Athlon XP 2600+. Before then I was kinda interested in computers, but I wasn't a major computer nerd. After I got my HP, I really go into computers. As I learned more about hardware, I figured out what a piece of crap that HP was, so I decided to start saving to build this. I built my current PC in june.

i wait until i see noticable lag in the most recently released games, im not too horribly worried about being able to brag about my system but being able to run all the games and apps that i want to.

ekÆsine said:
I replace my computer annually. upgrades are useless

If I could afford to do this, I would. I will probably be the type that replaces my computer bi-annualy, but just makes a big upgrade such as the graphics card annually.

this is my first computer so im still waiting to upgrade but i dont know maybe iwill built a new one

i usually get free older computers (see sig for laptop...that was free) and i got another P3 for free and an AMD K6-2 from a friend that works perfect. But on my main rig i upgrade part by part every 6 months or so. Money don't come easy..so building an ENTIRE new computer at one time doesn't happen for a few years. It's usually part for part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom