How good are the WD raptors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys need to learn some drive matainence. :p

I usually partition my drives into 4 parts, a system drive, generally the smallest of the four, no bigger than 10GB, and keep it strictly to Windows and other junk that automatically saves to the C drive.

Another bigger drive in where my other applications slide in, again not very big, maybe 20GB. I'll then split the rest between a media drive, where I throw all my files, and a test partition where I'll stick anything I'm not sure about, and I'll format it regularly to keep in empty.

I'll occasionally use another partition for Linux, and off course, the swap drive for that.

I absolutely cannot stand people who just fill up their C drive with everything though, arrrrggghh! :p

You guys need to learn some drive matainence. :p
Psht, hows that? There's nothing to maintain when a backup is completely full with programs, games, music, movies, etc..etc.. Already partitioned my OS Drive, but with a lot of games installed ( had to replay most when I got the 6600GT TO SEE THEIR FULL GLORY :p ) and that basically took up most of the drive, and now the 50gb partition is on it's way to being filled.

I just got more shtuff than you :D

man I feel like a newb, I know nothing about partition, or hd maintenance. If you guys could fill me in a little more I would feel so much better. sorry for spelling but I'm a little drunk right now heheh

Example: You have an 80gb drive, you want to partition it.....that just means break it into seperate pieces and in "my computer" it'll show up as another drive. So instead of just having C: you can break it into two 40gb partitions, then you'd have C: and D: one for primary one for backup

Gaara says 'maintenance' in talking about managing space wisely, but ehhh yeah, when you have a lot of stuff there's nothing to manage lol

so along with this HD maintenece thing: if i have a 200 gig IDE and an 80 gig sata, should i ut games ad media in sata for speed or does it really matter?

SATA = Primary
IDE = Backup
The sata will transfer data quicker, boot will be a couple seconds faster, plus since the IDE is so huge that would have a tiny bit of effect on speed while it spins up and accounts for the whole drive space.

I personally don't see myself filling my 80gb harddrive as I format regualy, and only have the games I play installed.
Well I have programs, tons of Mp3s, movies, games, and whatnot in on my 80gb backup drive, that's how it gets filled ;) I like to make an .ISO out of a gamedisk and put it on my computer, because that way it'll install quicker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom