How good are the WD raptors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedub

In Runtime
I'm just curious how good the WD raptors are compared to a regular 72000 rpm HD. I also notice they don't come with that many gigs of space. If some one could give me some more info that would be great

The higher the rpm of the drive, the lower the seek time is. For a 5200rpm drive, seek time is around 13ms. 7200rpm is around 9ms. 10000rpm is around 5ms. 15000rpm is around 3.3ms.

Windows loads pretty fast, windows XP takes like 15-20 mins, copying files and loading games are pretty fast...that kind of stuff.

No, hes talking about minutes to install
Yeah my bad, coulda worded that better, but yeah I was referring to the amount of time it took to install a fresh copies of Windows XP on the drives...for booting it takes way less than 15-20 seconds, hell my computer takes like 10-12 seconds to boot with a normal drive, takes like 7 seconds with a 10k drive

how come they only come in like 30 gig and 70 gig storage space? Is it because of the rpms?

Yea good job stevedud. Anyways, I think it's cauze that it's expensive. But you know, he did bring up a good point. Why did they do it? Cauze they don't use multiples of 10 for their drives. They have a 36 and a 74 gigs in raptors...and having 10000 rpm isn't that special anyways. I see drives that run at that rpm and have twice the gigs....but it's 4x expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom