How do you short the CMOS battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earwicker7

In Runtime
I need to reset my BIOS, and one of the only things so far I can find to complain about my motherboard is that the battery is in a very hard to reach place; I'll have to remove my graphics card and some power cables to get to it if I want to remove it, which will be a royal pain if I have to do it regularly while figuring out my overclock. However, my motherboard guide says I can also short the battery for five seconds. I understand the concept; I need to take two metal objects (I have some pointy screwdriver-ish tools that will work) that crisscross, with each one touching a terminal. My problem is that I don't know which part is the positive and which part is the negative terminal. What am I supposed to be touching?

Best advice anyone can give you.... READ THE MANUAL!!!

Read your mobo booklet and it should give you the jumper configuration for the battery short.

You don't need to even bother with that, there's a 'clear CMOS' button on the back of your motherboard.
2993.png

Best advice anyone can give you.... READ THE MANUAL!!!

Read your mobo booklet and it should give you the jumper configuration for the battery short.

I did, and it doesn't. There isn't a jumper.

I read the entire manual, but that was months ago.

You don't need to even bother with that, there's a 'clear CMOS' button on the back of your motherboard.
2993.png

Aaagh! I knew I'd seen that somewhere (months ago, when I read the manual cover-to-cover), but for some reason it wasn't mentioned in the part of the manual next to, well, exactly where it gave me the options of taking out the battery or shorting it. You'd think they'd put it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom