How do you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

almost2new

Solid State Member
I realize that comparing AMD vs Pentium is a bit like apples and oranges but, there has to be a simple way for a rookie like me to compare the general speed for comparison shopping ie: P42.6 ghz is approximatelty equal to AMD ?? I know just enough about computers and building them to cause myself grief and I am looking for some good input. I am looking to build something for digital photo use and building web pages I am not (no offense intended) a gamer.

Welll with my experience i have to say that AMD outperforms Intel. AMD just seems to speed things up better than intel. You can have a fast intel processor but it will still feel like an old i486 when you open some applications.

also amd is cheaper as the cpu and motherboard is about £20 more expensive each if not more.

Almost2new, Intel is alot better then AMD when dealing with Applications. This has everything to do with Intels architecture. But AMD is ideal for gaming, witch also has everything to do with its architecture. Neither one offers better processors then another. Just for what your dealing with.

So for you, i suggest a Intel processor. I dont know how much money you have to spend. But this would be a great processor for you.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-184&depa=1

bah you dont need an intel for digital photography... go amd

if id consider an intel it would be for like cad and stuff like that which is really instensive

You can generally compare the two based on AMD's rating system. For example, a 2500+ is estimated to perform at about the same level as a 2.5Ghz Intel proccesor.

Even though amd confuses us with there model designations, are you sayng that an amd with a lower mhz rating can peform better than an intel of a higher mhz rating . That just dont make sense to me. Sounds more like a marketing scheme. But I am speaking from lack of experience.

Trust me dude, it's not marketing scheme, otherwise you would totally have to ignore the opinions of all of the people here who build and test different systems, as well as benchmarks.

AMD has changed their core architechture and shortened their pipelines, while Intel has kept the same long pipelines. This means that AMD can use a lower frequency to achieve high speeds, while Intel is really just left with the option to increase clock speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom