How do you actully make a case? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to Zeeg
Default How do you actully make a case?

like is it hard? what kind of materials would you need? stuff that that.

My (Dell) PC
Intel
Old 02-26-2005, 11:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

From what ive seen and read about the most common type of case a person actually makes is usually a plexiglass/acrylic case. These materials are easy to come by, are easily put together and can be bent/cut without large power tools. And yes it is quite hard most people say it took them several weeks of part time work, You could probly do it working hard in a week. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 02-26-2005, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to 4W4K3

Steel/aluminum 2.0mm thick sheets (you can go thinnner but then they get flimsier)

Most likely you will want to weld this case for strength around the edges and main joints. everything else you can either tap and screw or jsut bolt in.

You'll want a generic case design to look at, and a basic diagram of the main parts of a case. Most important are porbably mobo tray, HDD/CD rack, panel fittings, and PSU bay...you have to make it ti where any brand/design hardware will be compatible...and thats pretty hard.

Your main problem is it's not going to be EMI shielded...most likely. And you are going to have alot of sharp edges since you will be dremeling/sawing it. You'll want to creata a front bezel and getting the side panels to slide on/off straight will be a challenge.

It looks pretty hard to me...unless you are good with metal and shaping it and all that. I suggest you make a wooden case really. Much easier and it really looks better. I'm better at cutting wood than i am with aluminum lol.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

This reminds me, in my old class, some kid was gonan cut allumunum on a table saw with a wood blade.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

seriously, how good would a wood case be?
Old 02-27-2005, 05:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by waynejkruse10
seriously, how good would a wood case be?
I'm wondering the same thing,Me and my buddy are thinking of making a nice oak case with ton's of fan's and lot's of space,
Old 02-27-2005, 10:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

I wouldnt want a wood case cuz i mean ya im sure it would look cool but it would weigh a ton.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 02-27-2005, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

i do woodwork at school, so it could be a possibility, i could do it as my major practical.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Your main problem is it's not going to be EMI shielded
as long as it has metal around it, it will be EMI shielded.
-------------------------------------------
aluminum is a lot easyer to cut and work with then steal. (not a real example, just for example - cutting 2mm thick steel, may be equivalent to cutting 6mm thick aluminum or more perhaps)

you prolly could just screw or bolt the entire case together. i dont know how much it would be to rent a Spot or Mig welder(not shur witch kind of welder is apropriat for aluminum) but that would work for the frame aswel.

plexiglass i never worked with, what is it like plastic? if so that sounds resonable, i like plastic cause its light and durable.
Quote:
Me and my buddy are thinking of making a nice oak case
if wood was used, id imagine you would only beable to use like Plywood or a similar pressur treated wood for the frame. otherwise i dont think wood that thin would be durable enough.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I think i will make a wood case at our schools woodshop.... But its going to weigh like a ton....

Closed Thread