How do they know if I overclocked my CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because stores keep a log of everybody's IP address who visits their site, and when somebody goes to make an RMA, they compare the IP address of the person doing the RMA to a list of IP address of everybody on computer related forums such as these, and if they see that you have addmitted to overclocking in any way, they will know. Don't bother deleting your posts, as they keep them all archived. They can also see if there is anything like burn marks on the CPU, and they can remove the heatspreader and insert a special probe into the circuitry on the CPU, and they can then access a list of all the frequencys the CPU has been run at.

003 said:
Because stores keep a log of everybody's IP address who visits their site, and when somebody goes to make an RMA, they compare the IP address of the person doing the RMA to a list of IP address of everybody on computer related forums such as these, and if they see that you have addmitted to overclocking in any way, they will know. Don't bother deleting your posts, as they keep them all archived. They can also see if there is anything like burn marks on the CPU, and they can remove the heatspreader and insert a special probe into the circuitry on the CPU, and they can then access a list of all the frequencys the CPU has been run at.

Lol! Thats what I thought (that it was a joke) I already hear that IP thing :p So... if it does not overheat I'm ok? Like my 3000 not oc'ed is 30-35 in work times.

generally, if there are burn marks, the cpu is done for anyway, so if yours is still working properly, you shouldnt worry.

They have ways to check if you OCd it or not. The CPU keeps track of what you OCd, how much, and for how long. Trust me. They have ways.

Don't even think about RMAing it. They'll kick your ass. =p

How dose the CPU keep a list of all the clock speeds its been run at once you take it out of the computer and it has no power to keep memory? Like to clear your Bios you take the little battery out and switch the jumper for a few seconds which means your mobo has no power and no way to keep memory so it reverts back to stock settings. Wouldnt a CPU do the same thing once taken out of the computer, if it even saves that stuff in the first place.

I dont think they would ever know as long as there are no visual signs like burn marks. I would say atleast try to RMA it anyway, if they dont accept it then they dont, but if they do then you get a new CPU, its worth a try, you dont really lose anything out of it. Its not like there gona send you to jail for overclocking or something.

They have ways to check if you OCd it or not. The CPU keeps track of what you OCd, how much, and for how long. Trust me. They have ways.

Don't even think about RMAing it. They'll kick your ass. =p
nah...unless there is obvious physical damage to the CPU, they can't tell if you overclocked...the CPU doesn't keep tracking of OC'ing at all, that's purely BIOS based....

The only way they'd be able to tell is if they got an electron microscope and viewed every inch of the CPU to see if any electromigration occured which MIGHT have been from overclocking, but can occur naturally anyway...they wouldn't waste their time with that, it'd take years just to get a new CPU back from them....Most companies don't even test the CPU you send...it's a warehouse full of people who get the box that says what new CPU they need, they find it, toss it in another box and send it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom