how do i overclock processor? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default how do i overclock processor?

title says it all..wondering how i would go about to overclock my processor? i have an intel duo E8500. I wanna know the process, pros/cons, how fast i can go, is there a big performance difference and if i'd need to invest in an aftermarket heat sink or not

much appreciate =)

Old 09-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: how do i overclock processor?

It would largely depend upon your motherboard and the bios options your given.

An aftermarket heatsink is alway preferable, but the stock heatsink can be used successfully sometimes.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Nubbleet Send a message via MSN to Nubbleet

If you have a good motherboard that E8500 will OC pretty easily.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

hey, i have an Asus P5n-D

and upon the loading screen from what i saw (it loads to fast for me to slow down) it's bios revision 0801...not sure if i'm correct

mwave.com: ASUS P5N-D nvidia nforce 750i sli chipset ATX form factor 2xPCI-E(x16)/2xPCI-E(x1)/2xpci/4xddr2 w/sata2 raid,lan(gb),1394,usb 2.0 & audio (cpu type:intel - socket 775)
Old 09-17-2009, 01:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

i entered a set up menu when the computer was booting up and saw something that had the name "jumper" in it..and it was giving me options for overclocking..i guess that's where i do it?
Old 09-17-2009, 02:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

To overclock your processor go into the BIOS (usually by pressing delete or F2 at boot).

Then from there, look for the area which will let you manually make changes to the settings, e.g. cpu frequency, fsb, multipliers, etc. If you see all those things you know you're in the right area. BE CAREFUL, don't just muck around there, you can damage your hardware.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 09-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
To overclock your processor go into the BIOS (usually by pressing delete or F2 at boot).

Then from there, look for the area which will let you manually make changes to the settings, e.g. cpu frequency, fsb, multipliers, etc. If you see all those things you know you're in the right area. BE CAREFUL, don't just muck around there, you can damage your hardware.

what would be acceptable parameters to overclock my E8500? i currently have a 750w PSU
Old 09-19-2009, 06:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- P5N-D E8500 OVERCLOCK PROBLEMS

Take a look at that thread. Use the settings in the 2nd post, but as mentioned don't put the vcore so high, try and keep it at or below 1.36v
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 09-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- P5N-D E8500 OVERCLOCK PROBLEMS

Take a look at that thread. Use the settings in the 2nd post, but as mentioned don't put the vcore so high, try and keep it at or below 1.36v
awesome thanks alot! before i overclock would you recommend getting an aftermarket heat sink? if so..any you would recommend for a moderate price? and anything i would most likely need like that gray paste?

also, my case comes with a temp. gauge, and the guy who helped me build my first computer put the receiver filament (dont know what it's called) in between the processor and the stock heatsink..is that the correct position to put it? because it hasnt really worked (or my cpu is running REALLY cool)

edit again, this is the case i have..dont know if any heatsinks will fit in it
mwave.com: APEVIA X-DISCOVERY (black) mid tower no power supply 4x5.25 2x3.5 4x3.5(hidden) w/ see through side windowfront USB connector & 120mm case fan x 1
Old 09-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Triforcer

The only need for getting an aftermarket heatsink is if you plan on pushing your processor further than you can with the stock. If your goal is to get just a little extra speed out of that E8500 then don't bother.

Closed Thread