"How do I OVERCLOCK????...."

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATIRAGEPRO

Daemon Poster
Hey....

I have an AMD K6 3D-NOW processor.(socket 7.) And i keep hearing people saying that if their processor isn't fast enough for them, that they 'overclock' it. ??????? Please explain what this is, and how can it be done?

Thank you.... ????....:confused: :cool:

it is done in the bios. There is all kinds of help on the net and in thr forums for you.

To overclock you must have adequate cooling.

Getting higher performance out of your current CPU can be done by overclocking - overclocking is dangerous and should only be attempted in small incremental steps/stages.

Overclocking voids hardware warranty, can damage hardware or can make a system unstable.

First you look at your temperature, for most modern CPU's if your temperature is around 30 - 40 degrees when idle it will increase to 37 - 46 under a heavier load. I personally wouldn't overclock if my CPU doesn't fit within these boundaries, my XP2500+ has a temperature that is too high and thus I don't overclock.

Overclocking will reduce the lifespan of your hardware.

Down to it.

Overclocking can be done in 2 main ways.

First way
Firstly raising the FSB speed by a few MHz and letting the multiplier do its job.

Example, say you have a AMD Athlon XP3200+ (2.2GHz) with a FSB speed of originally 200MHz (in BIOS) and a multiplier at 11, giving a total GHz of 2.2, 11 x 200MHz = 2200MHz (2.2GHz) .

Increasing this FSB speed to 205MHz BIOS will give you:

205MHz x multiplier of 11 = 2255MHz (2.26GHz)

Simple see! A problem you might encounter is that your system becomes unstable, to make the CPU stable again you should give it more power, i.e. increase the voltage, from 1.65V (default for the XP3200+) to 1.675V or maybe 1.7V.

Increasing the voltage substantially increases the temperature depending on what cooling solution you have.

Repeat these steps until you have a satisfactory speed and temperature, and hopefully a stable system.

Second way

Increasing the multiplier instead of the FSB speed. Quite simple.

Using the same processor as above we can increase the multiplier from 11 to 11.5.

11.5 x 200MHz = 2.3GHz

The bad thing about this way is that it isn't as accurate as the steps above. Some people use a mixture of both, increasing the FSB and the multiplier... [size=4.5]carefully![/size]

Woah!
i have dat old processor!

da only way i could overclock
dat thing was 2 do it on da mobo!
i dont think u can do it by bios.
all i did was change da jumpers.

wat speed is urs?
i think i got mine to 500Mhz.
:rolleyes:

"Orion..."

MY Clock speed is 266mhz. Which is pretty OK for what i'm doing, but i still wan't it a little bit faster...

Thanks Alot Kangaroo, that's exactly what i was trying to figure out! :) :cool:

Kangaroo's "How to overclock" post. It explains everything. Of course, I'm sure there are hundreds of other posts on this forum that explain the same exact thing, as well as almost 3 million google results under "overclocking", but you were too lazy to search so we have once again had to waste our time answering questions that have been answered before.

"Shape Shifter...."

What the F*** is wrong with you 'stoner'? Do you think I'd be here if I found what i was looking for anywhere else? This is a joke. Right? You don't actually think that IÂ’m wasting YOUR time posting MY subject... :rolleyes:

... Whatever man! You can have whatever ridiculous opinions if you want to, but keep in mind that 'this is MY topic! If you don't 'LIKE' it, then go somewhere else!! :angry:

Or are you one of those 'IDIOTS' who follow me around causing trouble? :angry: :rolleyes: :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom