how do i go about overclocking my pc? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2002, 08:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default how do i go about overclocking my pc?

i'm thinking about overclocking my pc but don't have a clue how to do it!! any help would be great

1.7 p4. 768 sdram. ti 4200 64mb geforce 4. winxp pro.
128 sb pro sound card.

e6700 @ 3.0ghz stock cooling
bfg nforce 680i
dual bfg 8800gtx
Corsair XMS2-6400 C4 TwinX PC2-6400 2GB
Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 16MB Cache SATA-II x2
Enermax Galaxy 850W
Razer Copperhead Tempest Blue 2000dpi Gaming Mouse
Saitek Eclipse 2 Illuminated Keyboard
NEC LCD20WGX2 Silver Widescreen 20" TFT Monitor
Old 10-27-2002, 02:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via ICQ to Xerion Send a message via AIM to Xerion Send a message via Yahoo to Xerion

isnt that configuration good enough?
anyway,overlocking is dangerous

Celeron 766MHz at 66MHz bus
192 MB RAM: 1x 64 MB + 1x 128mb,both pc 133mhz,but running at 100mhz,cause bus+33mhz
inno3d/innovision tornado GeForce 4 mx 440 64mb ddr,tv-out
40gb 7400rpm Maxtor HDD
Old 10-27-2002, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

With some good cooling, it's possible for a P4 1.7 to hit 2.2 - P4's are arguably very overclockable.

As noted above, check your motherboard first.
Martin's Page of Stuff

I judge you when you use poor grammar.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to h4x0r

If u dont have a clue on overclocking, be ware that u could ruin ure CPU completly (and sometimes mobo) and warrenties will not cover it.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Heh. "Mobo." Never heard of that abbreviation for motherboard.
Hi! I\'m a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to Disciple

overclocking isn't that hard, but u just need to know what the heck your doing, before u do anything to can mess up your system dramtically, if u don't know how to do it...
But one thing about AMDs are that they are usually already overclocked as far as they can go... just a little bit of experience knowledge for ya
\"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroy and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.\"
-Matthew 6:19-21
Old 02-06-2003, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

hi there! i used to have a system rigged with a p4 1.7g, 512 sdram, 128mb ti4400. first thing you have to figure out is why you want your system overclocked. is it because of slow game speed? ... slow program loading time? that sort of stuff. but i do believe that your 64mb ti4200 is buff enough to reach above satisfactory frame rates. but if your problem is slow program loading time and your system seem to be stuck in one frame or window, then perhaps your problem may not be related with your cpu size. perhaps its the sdrams. if your board supports both sdr and ddr, then it would do you a huge amount of good to switch to those ddrs. 1.7 gig is a fairly descent cpu size. i tried to overclock my 1.7 to 2 gig once. I barely noticed the difference. then i bought a 512 ddr 333,.. thats when things started to improve. quiker loading times, etc. overclocking does turn your pc from a lets say a v6 to v8 engine at no cost. but, you have to remember that you sacrifice stablity for speed in overclocking.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I currently have my PC overclocked, but I constantly switch it back and forth from default to OC'ed depending on what I am doing. I will tell you right now that if you decide to overclock, you will get spontaneous reboots and lock-ups while playing games.

I have sufficient cooling (7 case fans and a 6000rpm CPU fan) and it would still reboot while playing games sometimes.

Keep in mind, as you increase your FSB speed, you will have to increase your Vcore voltage (CPU voltage).

Let us know how it works.

Closed Thread