How to control video card heat - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2005, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 187
Default How to control video card heat

hey again. another question about my FX 5200. i'm sick of it and want to overclock it but i have no clue how to cool it. do i just place a fan next to it or do i need thermal compound? what do i need? i've never overclocked before and this is my only video card and i don't want to overheat it. how can i cool it?

bobafett573 is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 78

I have that same card, mine came with a fan right on it. So Im guessing slap a small fan right on there. that sounded so precise.......

What are all these extra screws for?
-=DFOX=- is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 187

of course it came with a fan on it but that fan was only made to remove so much heat. i've heard of people using additional fans to cool the video card. i just don't know when to use an additional fan and how to attach it. any help?
bobafett573 is offline  
Old 01-06-2005, 04:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie
uzi9mm's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Horseheads, NY
Posts: 2,553

Buy some Video ram chip heatsinks and apply one at each ram chip on the card and get one of the PCI slot fans right underneath the card blowing up into the CPU heatsink of the video card. It should keep it cool. The best thing you can get without getting a water cooled system.
INTEL i7 930
3x2gb Corsair Dominators
uzi9mm is offline  
Old 01-06-2005, 05:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Apokalipse's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14,559

you can get Thermaltake copper Ramsinks for no more than $10 for a packet of 8 - I've used them to get my TNT2's memory to 200MHZ from 150MHZ
and a descent GPU cooler for no more than about $15 - you could probbably use a northbridge cooler on the FX5200, they have the same 2 mounting holes
Apokalipse is offline  
Old 01-06-2005, 06:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 268

Im using those aswell as a Coolermaster GPU cooler, which is basically two blocks of aluminium and a copper heat pipe with a fan.

It works well.
jono199 is offline  
Old 01-06-2005, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Potsdam NY, USA
Posts: 2,003
Send a message via AIM to AND_YOU_ARE Send a message via Yahoo to AND_YOU_ARE

You could find something like this to help cool your video card:

I have also seen some that take up a slot on the front of the card for an additional fan that would replace the one already on the card. Kinda like the 'leaf blower' design that nvidia had not too long ago.

Member of the right wing conspiracy theory.

X-Fire: andyouare1
AIM: plantagenet51

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
AND_YOU_ARE is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.