How to control video card heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobafett573

In Runtime
hey again. another question about my FX 5200. i'm sick of it and want to overclock it but i have no clue how to cool it. do i just place a fan next to it or do i need thermal compound? what do i need? i've never overclocked before and this is my only video card and i don't want to overheat it. how can i cool it?

I have that same card, mine came with a fan right on it. So Im guessing slap a small fan right on there. :) that sounded so precise.......

of course it came with a fan on it but that fan was only made to remove so much heat. i've heard of people using additional fans to cool the video card. i just don't know when to use an additional fan and how to attach it. any help?

Buy some Video ram chip heatsinks and apply one at each ram chip on the card and get one of the PCI slot fans right underneath the card blowing up into the CPU heatsink of the video card. It should keep it cool. The best thing you can get without getting a water cooled system.

you can get Thermaltake copper Ramsinks for no more than $10 for a packet of 8 - I've used them to get my TNT2's memory to 200MHZ from 150MHZ
and a descent GPU cooler for no more than about $15 - you could probbably use a northbridge cooler on the FX5200, they have the same 2 mounting holes

Im using those aswell as a Coolermaster GPU cooler, which is basically two blocks of aluminium and a copper heat pipe with a fan.

It works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom