How Big of a Power Supply Do you Need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasmaorb

Baseband Member
How big of a power supply would i need if i am going to mod a case with atleast 5 fans, a cold cathode light, amd 2600 cpu, 2 cd burners.

I wanted to get the Thermaltake Xaser III case, but i wasnt sure how much i needed, cause im not sure how much power consumption the fans and lights take.

Thanks
Mike :beard:

With that many devices, you would need at least a high quality 450w power supply. If you can afford more, go for it - just to be on the safe side. You never can have too much power ;)

im running i believe a 400 W i have 1dvd rom and 2 cd burners and 2 fans, its p4 2.4 ghz and i havent had any problems

Thermaltake Xaser III case <-Dude...I'm Getting that Case In the Near Future and selling my Thermaltake Xaser II case! They own big time man!

I am using a Duel 450 Powersupply with: 5 Fans, 1 Burner, 1 CD ROM Drive, AMD 2200, 2 LED Lights (1 outside the case and one inside) and it runs fine!

I say 400 Watt would be fine for you at minimum!

For 300 Watt (Old One I Had): 4 Case Fans, AMD 1800+, 1 Burner, Thermaltake Cooling Monitor, 1 LED Light...

Go with 450 I say to be safe! ;)

i ended up geting the Antec 550 True Power supply, got it for like $90 brand new. For what the 430 was going for.. i said screw it.. spend the extra and get a kick ass power supply, plus 120 more watts to play with, plus i like the whole true power thing going on...
Thanks for everyones input

Pah...everyone gets all bent out of shape when it comes to power supplies: a 300 Watt one is probably all you need.

I have a 320 Watt PS running this:

2 x Maxtor 7200RPM 40GB HDs
1 x LG 12x DVD drive
1 x LG 12x 8x 32x CDRW

Athlon Thunderbird 1.333MHz on Abit KT7-RAID
686MB PC133 RAM
Xtasy Geforce4 MX 440
Soundblaster Live!
Crappy old 56k modem

And for cooling:
2 x 90mm Case fans
Foxconn HS and Fan
FSB HS & fan
2 x frontside 40mm fans
1 x PCI slot cooler

MicroBell said:
Yea...well...try useing one on an nforce2 board...running 2 lights,4 fans, 2 HDs, 1 CDROM, 1CDRW and an XP3000+

You'll change your mind......hahahaha Or stare at a blank screen!!
Good Job Plasmaorb...550 Antec..be just fine :)

Oh yeah?... Well:
MB EPOX 8RDA+ NFORCE 2
ATHLON XP 2200+
512 DUAL CH DDR 2700
1xHDD 60 GB MAXTOR ATA 133
1xHDD 20 GB MAXTOR ATA 133
1xHDD 9 GB IBM SCSI
1xHDD 17.5 GB FUJITSU SCSI
1xFDD
1xMO DRIVE SCSI
1xDVD ASUS E616
1xCDRW LG 16/10/40x
VGA ATI RADEON 9800/128 MB DDR GIGACUBE
SB AUDIGY
ADAPTEC SCSI CARD
5 TOTAL FANS
........THAT IS ALL WITH A 300W POWER SOURCE(ACORP BRAND)
SAY NOW WHAT?

dam u crazy smen_al, the system still works is amazing. but how did you get 4 hard disk and 2 cd/dvd to work on your computer? the motherboard has onbaord raid?

I would like to comment and ask a question as well pertaining to the "how big of a power supply is needed"

I would agree that the bigger, the better.
Why? Simple, if u want to add on, you know it won't hurt, :)

Now, here is my situation, hehe-
I am crazy when it comes to money. If I want to buy something, it has to be one of the best and most expensive things out there or it isnt worth it.

In pertaining to what someone said earlier about the 300w power supply may fail eventually, check this out-

I am running AMD XP2100, 256mb ddr, 6 Case fans, 3 neon lights, 8 Hard drives, 1 dvd-rom, 1 cd burner, 1 dvd burner, 1 floppy, creative audigy, Geforce 4 Ti4600, 3com Nic, Promise Controller Card, 56K modem, 7 Game controllers, USB 5 port controller card.

I am running all of this on a 480w Antec PS.

I had bout this PS about a year and a half ago and just a month ago, It failed on me. It started getting Voltage spikes and shutting down so i just got it replaced.

Antec said everything i am running should be fine for that PS, but wait til they hear what i am about to do.

I am planning on building a new pc that consists of pretty much everything i got on mine now just upgraded hardware and 3 gb of ddrram.

I am, of course, going to buy a PS for that pc too but Antec's biggest PS is 550w and i am wondering if i should go with those 650w ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom