Hot Hard Drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
Some of us have cases that do not have ideal hard drive cooling. My hard drive idled about 40C and when under load for long periods of time (formatting, unrarring 1080p files stuff) it would sometimes reach 45C-46C. Now, these are perfectly safe temperatures for drives, but as far as I'm aware the MTBF is rated at 40C, so for peace of mind if for nothing else I would like it to stay under that.

My solution? Well I had some spare ramsinks hanging around and figured if they each dissipated a Watt or a fraction of a Watt of heat then surely when added up they should dissipate at least some of the heat the HD was creating.

My results? My drive now idles at 34C, that's a 6C drop and when unrarring a 1080P mkv file it fluctuates between 38-39C....that's a 6-8C drop under load.

It's a bit ghetto, but it's entirely silent and it works! I just stuck them on both sides where the drive seemed hottest.

img3294os5.jpg

img3293mt4.jpg

Yeah most likely but I had these laying around. Also the drive does have some airflow, it just needed some more surface area and turbulence to take advantage of it.

good idea. I have a bunch of zalman heatsinks lying around. I have HD coolers that I've never installed. Anyone use those before? It has a small fan on the under side of the HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom