hmm I THINK it may be my mobo holding me back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
Ok, so I have four AM2 processors, one is a 4400+, one is a 3000+ and two are 6000+ processors, I can take each processor to 3.0Ghz EASILY, now with a big jump in voltage I can hit 3.3Ghz, the 6000+ is already at that 3.0Ghz, can't even raise it 1Mhz unless I apply roughly the same amount of voltage to it that I end up putting to my other processors, then I can take it to around 3.3Ghz prime stable, but ANY higher than that and the PC literaly locks up during POST, so could it be my motherboard holding me back??? Or is that just as far as I can humanly go, temps never get above 25C at full load with my water cooling system now...

BTW this is a K9n Platinum, and they have issues with the OVP circuit, and here recently it has had issues with the Hyper Transport bus, the mobo complains about some sort of threshold being exceeded at random times during restarts...

3.3ghz is just about as high as you can get them without exotic cooling. and thats a great overclock by the way.
i doubt it is the mobo holding you back. lower the multiplier and see if you can boot it at a higher external clock. that should tell you if it is.

Can't lower the multi, it's locked on the processors aint it??? If I can lower the multi then I should be able to get a higher clock, but there are other reasons that I think the mobo is either on its way out or is just plain old sucky, because I get that stupid overflow error every few restarts, and I am still having issues transfering large files using the onboard nics.

Tried to lower the multi and what not, I have tried everything humanly possible to get above 3.3Ghz on any of these processors today, **** I even took the rad off of my case and dumped it in ice water, the mobo just wont let me do it. I keep getting Hyper Transport Overflow Detected errors during restarts.... I give up on this mobo, I think I will be giving up on AMD all together, can't find a single nice one anymore that I like, and that supports RAID 5 with 6 SATAII ports or more...

like i said, 3.3 is the upper limit of any of the chips except for the cherry picked ones. i had a 5000BE that would boot right around 3.3~ but could never get it to stabilize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom