Hit 2.4 on 3000+ Venice

Status
Not open for further replies.

FghtinIrshNvrDi

Fully Optimized
Well, I got my new motherboard in and hit 2.4 ghz on my Athlon 64 3000+ Venice. The stupid thing hit a wall, but I feel like it hit the wall waaay too early. I was wondering what kind of experiences people have had with voltage. Anyone ever fried one? Anyone know anyone else who may have fried the memory controller? I heard that 1.6V was a little too much for it to be pretty much 99.9% safe.

I'm also concerned that my power supply isn't consistant enough to give me stable voltage. I'm thinking that if I got a more reliable power supply, I'll be able to take it further. What kind of a percentage should the voltage be fluctuationg to under a GOOD power supply conditions?

This is my current power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817171007

Thanks for any replies.

Ryan

well actually i dont belive 1.6v will fry it maybe 1.7, my brother has his 3000 venice 939 at 2.7ghz with 1.6v, and its perfectly stable. but 2.4 is good, look at it this way your beating a 3700. which cost 200+$ so either way you extended your dollar...

The venices take voltage pretty well, you cant give it TO much, but 1.6v would be fine. Also, your PSU is pretty crappy, if you are interested, I am selling a very nice PSU, check my sig.

I monitored prime95 and CPU-Z at the same time. When the voltages dip to the low end of the spectrum, 1.504V, the error pops up. It's like a temporary voltage change that's drastic enough to make the error occur. It also goes up to 1.600V at the peak of the change.

Oh, and burned-ati, 2.4ghz is the speed of a 3800+, but thanks for the credit anyway. :)

And 95 bucks is WAY out of my price range. Maybe a 50 or 60 dollar fortron or Antec might be a possibility.

Ryan

fortron psu's are very stable... i have cpu voltage to 1.55v in the bios and under load, i watch the voltages, and that **** is 1.54-1.56v always.

PZEROFGH's link in Nubius's sticky gives a great link to suggested voltages: http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

Anyways, I have a venice also and from what I've read, the venice can handle a lot of power without frying (granted you watch the temps). The stock voltage for our venice's is around 1.4-1.5 but I've had mine up to and above 1.7v (the highest my mobo will allow it) without any problems. I don't leave it there 24/7 but when I'm doing benchmarks it is just fine. Always remember, no matter what your cooling situation is and no matter how low your temps are, increasing voltage will always decrease the life. If you upgrade your CPU every year or so you probably will never even notice the wear it has on it so I don't worry about it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom