Highest safe GPU temperature for 6800 GT 256mb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh

Desktop Engineer
I've got a BFG 6800 GT and it's overclocked out of the box from 350 core clock to 370. I pushed is to 390 core and 1050 memory speed. I set an alarm to go off if it goes over 95 C, and it goes off after about 5 minutes of intensive gaming. I haven't messed with my Geforce 6 for awhile, I can't remember what the highest safe operating temperature was.... I'm thinking 100 is the absolute most? Did a quick search and found nothing.

I think its around 120*C you don't want to go over...at least thats where mine started wiggin' out before I cleaned out the heatsink.

Those temps are high...the fan is working? Is there dust trapped in the heatsink?

I would try to keep temps under 85

If I remember right the 6xxx series could hit 120 and be safe if shut down quickly. They ran abnormaly hot, I know my STOCK 6600GT runs around 60C idle...

I should have added, after I cleaned out my card's heatsink it never goes above 70*C under load. But my buddy's 6800GT runs a lot hotter than my GS.

gs' ran cooler than the gt... the gt's are expected to run hot on stock heatsink.. and as everyone said, threshold is 120

and gurusan.. my 8800gtx sits pretty hot idle.. which sucks, something like 60 degrees.... :(

after an hour of gameplay i think i was in the 90's area

The core slowdown for all 6-series is 120c I believe, that doesn't mean you're ok up to that temp though.

And nosboost, 8800s can run into the 90s no problem...it might affect your max overclock but it's not doing any damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom