Higher the OC, lower the score? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Higher the OC, lower the score?

Ok so I'm trying to OC my 6600GT PCIE card to get the most out of it before it gets totally obsolete. On stock cooling I've had it OC'd to 570/1100 and I score a respectable 3890 on 3DMark05, which is the highest I could go. But my temps were about 55* @ idle and 70-75* @ load, so I wanted to cool a bit more. I purchased a Zalman VF700-CU, installed it, and temps are down to 45* @ idle and 55* under load. So I OC'd it to 580/1200, still reaches the same temp, and seems stable while playing games. Yet, when I benchmark it with 3DMark05, I now get a consistent score of around 2500? Any idea why performance has gone down? Latest driver is installed.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to PZEROFGH

you just OC"ed too far, so backdown a little bit and try it again

AIM/Xfire - pzerofgh
Old 01-07-2006, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Grinch

If you go to far for the card or part the performance may decrease at a certain point....
Old 01-08-2006, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to AND_YOU_ARE Send a message via Yahoo to AND_YOU_ARE

Besides the 3Dmark score, did you try playing a game with it at that clocked setting, and watching your fps? Comparing them to the fps in the same game at the previous setting. I would consider using two different ways to evaluate performace before you consider there is something wrong.

Also you might want to increase the clock settings by just a little bit each time. Finding out where the exact limit is on the card. You cant over clock it to the moon with all the cooling in the world. The do have a limit of some sort.
Member of the right wing conspiracy theory.

X-Fire: andyouare1
AIM: plantagenet51

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Old 01-08-2006, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

the card may have been damaged but it may also be downclocking to protect itself because you have OC'd too far. simple solution: don't go past the point where its at its best performance.
Visit my website - nitestick.net
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Closed Thread