I just got a friend to build me a new pc here are the specs:

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 Motherboard
Amd XP3200 CPU with 400mhz fsb
Thermaltake TR2 M3 Heatsink & Fan
512mb pc3200 ddr400 memory
Gecube 9600 Pro 128mb videocard
Foxcon Tower Case with Front USB
GB Samsung 8mb cache Hard Drive

The problem is I am getting tempretures between 61 & 64C when Idol and up to 72C when fully loaded. Is this to hot and if so what should I do?

Thanks

Nige

how many case fans do you have, and are you sure they are blowing the proper direction? Also was thermal paste used on the heat sink? Too little or too much can be bad.

i would reseat the heatsink and make sure it is seated properly and has more thermal paste. also check to make sure you are running on stock voltage if you are not overclocked.

Hi all,

Thanks for your reply,

Just a few other things to note:

VCore is 1.65v as per normal however, sandra 2005 says cpu voltage is running at 1.7 - 1.71 v, what does this mean.

Also, fan is running at 2300 - 2500 rpm, however, the specs for the heatsink say it can go up to 4500 rpm if needed. Could this be the problem?

I hve no other fans besides the cpu fan. Also what is CPU cooling System thermal resistance? This is at 30c.

Thanks

Nige

I have the model down mobo ( GA-7N400-L) and it also runs hot, I've heard that these boards run hot anyway but i still think its too hot. I get around 61 celcius at idle, I have exactly the same processor!!!!!!! wtf shud we do?

ardy89 said:
I have the model down mobo ( GA-7N400-L) and it also runs hot, I've heard that these boards run hot anyway but i still think its too hot. I get around 61 celcius at idle, I have exactly the same processor!!!!!!! wtf shud we do?

did you try reseating the heatsink and applying an even layer of thermal paste on it? If it is using a "thermal pad" then take that off...those suck. what you want is a nice even coat of paste on the middle of the heatsink. even if you already have one, reapply it and reseat the heatsink. it could jsut be mounted a few degrees off and not making good contact.

true i think i will reseat it, can u put too much thermal paste on?
i did put quite a lot on!

ardy89 said:
true i think i will reseat it, can u put too much thermal paste on?
i did put quite a lot on!

you can put too much...just put a dab and get a credit card. smooth it out till it is relatively flat, it shouldn't be too thin (you can see the heatsink material) and also should not be too thick (it's piled really high) just a flat even surface probly lke a mm thick, maybe less. it wont kill your machine to have too much...but it wont give you good results either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom