High Temp. NOT OVERCLOCKED

Status
Not open for further replies.
56 Degrees Idle... Remember i want to overclock so what temperature do you recommend i get it down to before i should overclock?

well you may not get 5 degress kooler because i did get a new heatsink and cpu fan spend about 50 bux canadian.. pretty reasonable price i think :) but i was running a lil kooler (about 2 degrees) after i cleaned up the clutter

Flying_Vortex said:
I have a AMD Athlon Xp 2500+, it reads as 58 Degrees and stays at that. i have been told this is normal for a Amd, but what do you guys think

i have the exact same idle temp as u do! and i cant figure out why! i think i may clean the clutter and stuff. ;)

Try blowing the dust -if any- from your case. Or, try switching fans and putting some arctic silver on your cpu. What sort of things do you have in your case? a crowded case can cause overhating, especially if the video card is near the cpu

silence reminded me of another problem... make sure all ur case fans and god forbid even ur heat sink fan dont have any dust clogging up the air flow :)

silence782 said:
Try blowing the dust -if any- from your case. Or, try switching fans and putting some arctic silver on your cpu. What sort of things do you have in your case? a crowded case can cause overhating, especially if the video card is near the cpu

my case is cluttered. i am using arctic cpu thermal paste, by the way. blowing dist? ok i will try that, thnx man.

_SiLv3R_ said:
silence reminded me of another problem... make sure all ur case fans and god forbid even ur heat sink fan dont have any dust clogging up the air flow :)

yes, i will try blowing the dust out from anywhere, thnx.

Do you think maybe i should reconnect the heat sink and make sure it is connected propally?

EDIT: Make sure to use a lint free cloth if you can to get off the old grease. Use atleast 90% but preferably 99% isopropynol alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and a q-tip if you can't get a lint free cloth to get all the grease off the core and heatsink. Remember don't touch the heatsink cause grease from your skin sinks into the microscopic valleys and obstructs the paste....also if you're reapplying a stock heatsink..make sure it doesn't have a thermal pad....don't put grease on that...remove it also with the 99% iso and something PLASTIC if you can..don't want to scratch the base unless you can give it a quick lapping afterward.

Couldn't hurt, as long as you know how to do it carefully and are 100% sure you'll be able to do it no prob. I just moved around some fans and jerry rigged an 80mm fan into the 5.25" bays lol and have my Coolermaster Jet blowing into the rear of my case. LoL my 2400+ XP is sitting at 50C now instead of 56C that I just posted the other day. My computer has NO dust though cause I've been in and out of it for days now. Clutter is an issue but my thermaltake 560w PSU should be arriving today and it has cable sleeves. Also like I said I got the SLK-900A heatsink coming, gonna give it a mirror finish, got AS5 to go on it...more fans coming..gonna add a 120mm blowhole exhaust..a blower fan to hit the backside of the motherboard beneath the processor socket muahahaha my case will be a humming monster when I'm done. But yeah before I start overclocking I'd like to see low-mid 40's.

Thats my suggestion for you Vortex. Get temps in the 40's in IDLE and maybe try to get it to the point of barely hitting 50's at load. Cause if you're overclocking then you'll be looking to add 5-10 degrees easily without adequate cooling. temps in the 50's are making me nervous. My temp shutoff level is at 75C. I've steadily gone from a case with an open panel and no fans producing 64C idle temps to 50C idle temps with the 2 80mm stacked exhaust - side, 1 coolermaster jet - rear - intake and 80mm front jerry rigged drive bay fan - intake lol.

After my mod is done here in like a month I should have the following fan specs:

1 - top - 120mm - Exhaust -3 pin
1 - Rear - Tornado 80mm - Intake 4-pin
1 - CPU Blower - 4 pin
2 - 80mm - front - intake - 3 pin - 3pin y-splitter
1 - HD Lower side Case mod 80mm side intake - 3pin - y-splitter
2 - stacked 80mm - side - exhaust - fuxored 2-pin & 4pin.
1 - Case Mode Behind CPU Blower - 4-pin
NOTE:
(2-power supply fans)
1-possible new NB fan/heatsink

Total: 12

Got a sunbeam rheobus to control my fans and lots of extensions and 3pins to 4pins and 4pins to 3pins and 3pin y splitters.....shohuld be fun. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom