High Temp. NOT OVERCLOCKED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying_Vortex

Baseband Member
I have a AMD Athlon Xp 2500+, it reads as 58 Degrees and stays at that. i have been told this is normal for a Amd, but what do you guys think

If that is idle then you are running a little hot. It's not really going to hurt your processor now but may end up hurting its lifespan. Processors will run better and longer if they are at a comfortable temperature. If that is under full load then you are alright. You really want to keep idle temps in the 40's with XP's. 30's is ideal but thats hard to do without a 15 lb heatsink :)

How can i cool it down without adding a extra fan.. Am i able to raise the CPU Fan Speed??.. If i get it down to a Reasonable temperature i will add a extra fan and try overclock to a 3200+ . Thanks

Your best bet if you plan on overclocking is just to get a new heatsink/fan combo. Get an all copper heatsink and a good fan. It all really depends on how much money you have to spend and how loud you can stand your computer being. :)

Thats true, can you guys recommend me to any good fans? And what temperature do you think it will go down to? Thanks

I got a 2500+ Barton and my heatsink is a Thermaltake 12 Extreme Edition. My temperatures never go above 37 :D but this hsf needs good case cooling because otherwise it just pushes hot air onto the processor. but if you keep cool airflow inside your case it will definately keep the temps down. Btw when i get my new mobo i'm going to overclock to a 3200 :D

well one of the factors that could be affecting is the clutter inside your case.. it would not matter if you get new heatsinks and fans if you did not clear up the clutter to provide better airflow.. with my sony viao i just cleaned up all the ide ribbon cables nad power cables and taped em together and moved em to the corner of the case.. this actually provided me with about 5 degrees celcius kooler cpu :).. so the first thing you should check is the airflow thru ur case

Ahh Very interesting Silv3r... I will try that.. i think i do need to tape the cables! lol.. Oh and i was wondering. is it possible to increase the CPU Fan speed?

I wouldn't try increasing CPU fan speed...would burn out the motor cause all increasing speed means is increasing voltage. Get the SLK-900A heatsink..thats what I just ordered...heard its basically THE SHIT when comes to cooling. Buuuut with stock HSF my AMD 2400+ XP is sitting at 56C idle...so don't feel too bad.. but I'ma bout to do some serious case modding here in the next couple weeks. Posted about it in the hardware zone..gonna try to take pics cause it'll be insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom