Here ye Here ye I need a cpu cooling solution but more importantly your advice - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Here ye Here ye I need a cpu cooling solution but more importantly your advice

Getin the amd athlon 64 2x 7850 black edition 2.8ghz cpu need a good heatsink and cooler.

here are the ones I'm looking at, please vote and let me know which one to go with. Once the system is up and running I'll write a review and ya all be in the credits

mid tower guardian 921 nzxt case
700w 80 plus modular pfc psu
3 case fans
asus nforce mobo
9800gt 1gig
2gigz ddr2 1066
winxp home sp3

Newegg.com - ZEROtherm BTF90 92mm Silent UFO CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - ZALMAN 9500A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS 9300AT SuperFlo CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
this is the one I was really thinkn bout going with og ----> Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS 7500 Cu LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS8700 2 Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - Thermaltake V1 Max-Performance CPU Cooler with Massive 110mm Blue LED Full-Range Variable Speed Fan CL-P0401 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

which one or any better suggestions?

Old 07-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Here ye Here ye I need a cpu cooling solution but more importantly your advice

None of them. Get this one.

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

I own it, it's amazing. To give you some numbers...on my stock HSF, at 3.3ghz with 1.375v, I had a max load of 65c. On the core contact, I'm at 3.7ghz with 1.55v (haven't tweaked it lower yet), and at max load I'm getting between 45c and 51c.

Comes with TX-2 as well. I'd say it's your best bet.

EDIT: By the way, I would modify that build a little bit, you could optimize it a lot more than it is at the moment.

thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 07-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Here ye Here ye I need a cpu cooling solution but more importantly your advice

is that for a socket am2 though? and what other socket type heatsinks would mount with that cpu?

optimize? specifically??
Old 07-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

That heatsink does AM2/AM2+/AM3 no problem. But check your other thread, I already put a build together there.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i think at first for now im just going to take the stock heatsink that comes w the cpu. im not planning on oc anytime soon. its gota meet standards and seems sufficient if vaio, alienware, and hp are going to sell gaming rigs with stock fans and actually that worked better then my jet engine copper heatsink i had with my athlon 1800 pc awhile back. dont remember who made it but it was the jet 7 somthn or other. silver plastic jet engine lookin fan attached to an all copper heatsink. thing was kinda disappointing but then again if i am going to immerse myself into cooling i go all the way ocd style, henceforth I am, for once, going to just start up thids system w the stock fan for awhile unless someone here can send me something superfragilisticexpialidocious (u get the idea)
Old 07-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Inspired by Art

when shopping heatsink/fans, dont buy just off looks alone, some of the best looking coolers are the worst performing ones.

the Sunbeam Hikard suggested is one ugly beast, but like he said, it performs amazing, i used one to cool my phenom II 940, and it did a very good job.

its only $40, you should really get your heatsink/fan with the rest of your system. it will save you time down the road. and keep your system cooler in the meanwhile.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I actually love my core contact, I think it's awesome looking. Not the sweetest looking thing ever.

I was VERY surprised when I got it though, for some reason I never imagined it so MONSTROUS. But it works great.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Content Team

That hsf sounds amazing for that price, if it really cools that much. I will have to keep it in mind for future builds/friends.

I was going to recommend the cooler I am using, but for the price difference I would just go with what hikari suggested.

I'm using the Domino ALC, and it's pretty neat, and works quite well for my purposes, but it's twice as expensive so probably not worth it for you.
...:::Phenom II 940 @ 3.8||GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P||Domino ALC||8gb G.Skill DDR2||WD Black 640gb x2||HD 4870 1gb||M-Audio Delta 1010LT||Antec Quattro4 1000 80PLUS||Antec 1200||Hanns-G 25" 1080p||Olllld Altec Lansing 4.1 Dolby Digital(still sounds great =]):::...

Soon to come: New 4870 for Crossfire||Logitech G9||Logitech G11
Old 07-18-2009, 12:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Yeah, the Domino ALC is a decent waste of money. I remember a while back I posted a thread about it myself for some debate. I seem to remember the cooling results not being much different than some air coolers.

One thing I will say about the CCF is it's a PITA to mount.

Closed Thread