here is something you can make fun of...sidepanel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this looks fun! Makes me want to take my no-name case and start cutting. Well, maybe develop a plan first. I wonder how a band-saw would work out...

i had that trim left over from when i restored my boat, no kidding. i never got around to swapping it with the thin stuff, which would have looked a bit better.

Maybe for that case....but I've got some larger cases where the fat trim might work with the theme.

Wow, this looks fun! Makes me want to take my no-name case and start cutting. Well, maybe develop a plan first. I wonder how a band-saw would work out...

BAD IDEA. i used a band saw to cut a tin railing this summer for a border between hard wood and ceramics and i ruined the thing the teeth are to big on them. imo get yourself a dremmel or grinder, with a cutting blade.

^^

+1! get an angle grinder... you'll thank yourself when your build looks good and you're done within the year lol

BAD IDEA. i used a band saw to cut a tin railing this summer for a border between hard wood and ceramics and i ruined the thing the teeth are to big on them. imo get yourself a dremmel or grinder, with a cutting blade.

True...if you're using a wood bandsaw to cut metal. Wood and metal bandsaws are very different and a proper metal cutting bandsaw is a great tool to have in the shop. It will make much better cuts than an angle grinder and will do it faster. With proper guides and jigs the bandsaw is awesome and has a ton of uses. The metal bandsaws run at significantly lower speeds and use different blades (more like fine grinding than cutting) vs their wood couterparts. Many also have coolant to keep cut temps down.

As you mentioned, on a wood saw you'll ruin the teeth and the materials, just too fast a speed for cutting.

Yeah, I was only half thinking about the band-saw. I think I have a dremel and a jigsaw somewhere around here, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I think for me a case mod is something that's only gonna happen far, far into the future right now.

It isn't bad for a first mod... My mod, adding a water cooling rad to the top of my case ended up being **** because of the size of my rad... I didn't measure something right... Anyways, I ended up using Loctite glue to hold the rad down, but screwed up and didn't put painters tape around one of the sides and it has glue smeared up the side of it where I tried to smooth it out... grr... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom