here is something you can make fun of...sidepanel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tastegw

Inspired by Art
scrapmetel.jpg

last year when i put together my first "raw" build, i didnt have enough money left over for a new case, because the original case i bought wasnt wide enough for the new cpu cooler (off less than an inch, but still off).

so i put my old rig inside the new case and sold it like that, (prolly got more money for it like that)

so i was still stuck with my old case, it was made with good quality metel, but by no means was it a name brand or even suitable for a newer rig inside it.

since my cooler needed air from sidepanel rather than exhausting out the back panel like the one i should have gotten, i had to drasticly put some powertools to this old case.

i originally was going to cut out the side panel and install plexy glass (spelling here?) and i did that, but that did not allow anywhere near enough ventalation to keep the new rig cool enough, i was getting blue screens with this setup, so i ditched the glass and tried perforated air duct (for a house) and cut that to size, now the power tools i used didnt exactly cut like i wanted them too, so its fugly stuff.

i know this solution does not work quite the way it should, but atleast it has worked so far (a year with no problems)

i just wanted to share this story here so see the "bad" reactions from the people who actually know what they are doing when it comes to cooling and the like ;)

rip it away guys ;)

(btw, im still using this lol)

edit: here is what it looks like when its actually on the pc while running (still ugly ;))
461470_13645_01.jpg

Looks pretty good to me. Maybe paint it black as well, so that it matches your tower?

Oh and I think you should install those rubber tube lines or whatever you call it on the side panel that you cut. Wouldn't want you to have a bleeding finger now, would we?

Looks pretty good to me. Maybe paint it black as well, so that it matches your tower?

Oh and I think you should install those rubber tube lines or whatever you call it on the side panel that you cut. Wouldn't want you to have a bleeding finger now, would we?

lol i tried that, what you cant see from the pic, is the lines are not even (left to right, top to bottom, in to out) its all out of wack to the naked eye.

i did try to put guards on, but since the edges were just so uneven, it was too hard and it made it look worse than it is allready. ;)

so i gave up, and treaded lightly around those edges when working on the rig.

My only concern is with the amount of dust that could get in through there. It is basically like running it with the side panel open. Not that I have not done that in times of emergency. Remembers ducktaping large fan to cool cpu on server until new motherboard arrives. Just make sure and clean the dust out regurally and you should be ok assuming your house is not too dusty.

My only concern is with the amount of dust that could get in through there. It is basically like running it with the side panel open. Not that I have not done that in times of emergency. Remembers ducktaping large fan to cool cpu on server until new motherboard arrives. Just make sure and clean the dust out regurally and you should be ok assuming your house is not too dusty.

ya, i blow it out every so often with an air can.

and ya, it can build up fast like this ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom