Help OverClocking my 5770 Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaJay

Troll Patrol
I have a Radeon HD5770 (see sig for other specs) and I'd like to OC it to get more out of Final Fantasy 14.

I can run the game on max settings other than Multi Sample Anti Aliasing. My GPU goes from 0x to 4x to 8x.

Unfortunately, that's a feature I really need. I tried toning down every other setting to low and turned on MSAA and it still lagged.

Someone had mentioned it might be my GPU Memory, which I have 1GB of.

How can I adjust these settings to try and get MSAA to run without lag and also without frying the GPU?

Photo of my settings attached (default settings atm)

33k6d8l.png

I'll watch those, but it's an AlienWare Tower Case. 9 cooling fans inside excluding CPU. Air flow is decent, it's sitting on carpet though so it could probably be better. I keep my indoor temp under 73F at all times though.

GPU's idle temp is about 40C. I've never seen it go above 67C while 'heavy' gaming.

As for which 5770 it is, the box simply says 'ATI Radeon HD5770 EyeFinity 1GB'. Nothing more specific.

The card doesn't support Voltage Control, which is one drawback.

I read those, it's going up to around 64C at 955mhz Core 1300mhz Memory. From what I've read about the GPU as long as it stays below 75C it should be fine, and that's on the safe side.

Guess I'll start tweeking it with games now instead of GPUTool

Oh, is it bad to crank up the fan speed to try and get more out of the stock cooling? I had it up to 80%

Yeah it's like a helicopter sound wise but that doesn't bother me. Just want to make sure it's safe to run it at 80% or maybe even faster.

I just want to make sure it stays well below the max temp.

Edit: It took away the lag in MSAA!!! However thats with textures on low, so I need to turn those back up and tweak it a bit. It's running 74C Max with 80% fan speed, 1300mhz Memory 955mhz Core.

i dont start getting scared about GPU temps untill it gets to 90° when i was benching my card i was holding my breath with it at 92°.

also, ram speed doesnt really improove FPS... mostly concentrate on the core speed. and if you get any particles or screen flashing or anything out of the ordinary while playing games, back your over clock down a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom