Help with overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriodyn

Beta member
To start off I guess I'll tell you my system specs.

MoBo: ALiveNF6P-VSTA
CPU: AMD X2 64 2.6ghz 5000+ (OC'd to 3.02ghz)
Gfx: Integrated Geforce6150SE and ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
Ram: 2gb DDR2 800
Storage: 160Gb SATA HD and 60Gb IDE HD

Anyways, what I'm wondering since my processor is unstable past 3Ghz is if increasing my voltage will allow me to reach higher speeds. If so, my problem is that my BIOS won't let me change my CPU voltage past 1.35V. Is there any way get past this? Is this the max voltage my board can deliver to a CPU?

Also, while looking around in BIOS I saw a Chipset core voltage. What is this, and does it have anything to do with why my voltage won't pass 1.35V?

If your board already has the fastest ram it can handle, can you still overclock your ram? How do you overclock your ram?

Thanks, I know I'm a newb. By the way I do pay attention to my hardware monitors to make sure nothing overheats.

your CPU is probably limited to that voltage... im not really sure cuz i've never been an AMD fan... but your board should be able to deliver over 2V

your chipset core voltage is also known as NB or MCH voltage... it has nothing to do with the voltage of your CPU, but increasing it to 1.2-1.3V should help with OC stability.

Yes you can still OC your RAM... the board just hasn't been tested/certified at any frequency above that...next, you dont OC your RAM, it really just comes along for the ride... when you increase your FSB, the RAM frequncy will increase proportionally. The system memory multiplier (aka divider or FSB : DRAM ratio) determines this increase. if you set the memory multiplier to 2 (ie 1:1) the DRAM frequency will increase 1MHz per MHZ increase in FSB (ie 2MHz DDR2)

i know that doesnt really seem clear, but its a pretty broad question... if you need any more info, post back or PM me and i'll try to explain it a bit better

This guy had the same CPU and mother board.

AMD Processors Forums - possible to overclock athlon X2 5000+ with stock cooling?

Here is the answer he got

"OK first off if your board wont support overclocking ion bios then AMD overdrive WILL not work ether. Fix is to buy a board that supports overclocking."

1.35Vcore is not much to work with. Thats the Vcore I m currently using for my 3.00ghz over clock. The only thing limiting me though, is heat. Better heat sink and I m upping to 3.2

In short your mobo sucks. Get one that can overclock. My guess is you have some oem desktop like a dell or compaq and wanted to speed it up. It doesn't work like that. OEMs use cheap motherboards that will only support the barest features required to work with the desired OS. Overclocking is almost always dropped, and when it is included its not very good.

I'm guessing that's an AM2 build (someone correct me if im off), if so then there are plenty of better boards to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom